Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
27 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

For sale: 1948-50 Fuel sending unit #403066 NOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
New in the box fuel tank sending unit.
Fits all Standard 8 models, 1948-50
Part #403066
Sorry, no gasket
$150

Attach file:

jpg  fuel sending unit 1948.jpg (208.64 KB)
1136_60a72b1a82591.jpg 1144X856 px

Posted on: 2021/5/20 22:38
 Top  Print 

Re: For sale: 1948-50 Fuel sending unit #403066 NOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was hoping that this would fit my 1951 Henney-Packard which uses this older style but sadly it does not. The 1951-1954 Henneys used a unique one. That is likely due to it having a 1951 gauge so the sender needed to be able to work with it.

Posted on: 2021/5/21 12:01
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

hnuops
See User information
Still for sale? Anyway to tell if this is functional, as it sits? Can you get ohm readings? Don't know if this is useful with this King-Seely dual heated bimetallic operation? Anything special about the gasket?

Posted on: 2021/6/20 13:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have one of these left.
Ohm readings go from infinite in the empty position to 9-10 ohms in the full position.
I don't think there is anything special about the gasket, I just don't have it.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 15:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

longjohn wrote:

Ohm readings go from infinite in the empty position to 9-10 ohms in the full position.
I don't think there is anything special about the gasket, I just don't have it.

Unlike the prior years and the 51-6 senders which are of the straight change in resistance type, the 48-50 senders are basically a set of contacts which cycles on and off to ground. A heater in series with the gauge heater and receiving some kind of feedback from the gauge heater controls a bimetal strip in the sender which bends to open or close a contact. I suspect the feedback is via a special wire the gauge heater is wound with that is a type which changes resistance with temperature. The resistance has a carefully calibrated value at known temperatures the gauge heater needs in order to move the needle to a specific place and that changing resistance slows or speeds the sender heater. The other factor controlling the on state and how often it cycles depends on how much force the float or the oil pressure pushing against a diaphragm is adding to the bimetal strip.

Here is an oscilloscope photo showing electrically what is happening.

Attach file:

jpg  22-23 bimetal sender action.jpg (149.83 KB)
209_60cfb0ec2f4f6.jpg 1280X1089 px

Posted on: 2021/6/20 16:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

hnuops
See User information
Really great explanation! Thanks for the o-scope picture. Still wondering if this is any better than the typical, and now common, variable resistance type. Am new here so not sure how to get in touch with the person selling the sender? Guess I am staying on the same thread? Yes, the part number is the same as on my sender. Have ohm reading of around 13 but that or infinite. No slow progression ramp with float movement. Can ground sender connection and see gas gauge peg from E to F. Working on gas tank now, would like new working sender. I think your ohm readings are good, so will buy. BTW, thanks to all who have put such wonderful, and useful, Packard info on the internet.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 17:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
hnuops- check your inbox for a message with my contact info.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 18:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Am new here so not sure how to get in touch with the person selling the sender?

You have indicated an interest in buying the part in the thread which is good and maybe he will see it.

EDIT: I see he has already responded but for future needs here are instructions to send a private message.

When you are logged into the forum you can click on the senders name in the blue bar at the extreme left of the title bar above his post. That will bring up another window with his profile and a button at the top which says "Send Message". Click on the button and another window will open similar to the regular post response window where you can title and write a private message.

Next time that person logs in there will be a notification in red letters at the top left of the page in the area where you log in to the forum that there is a message. If he also provided an email address and selected the option to receive notifications in his profile, an email will also be sent when you post your message notifying him there is a private message awaiting.

If there is not a recent post with a persons name in the header line handy where you can just click on his name then it gets more complicated. I have not yet figured out how to send a message by doing a search and finding a person without using the name already in a post but others apparently have. Maybe they will see this and give us both instructions.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 18:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
These units are all sold. Thanks

Posted on: 2021/6/22 8:48
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tyrone B. Owens
See User information
Quote:

longjohn wrote:
New in the box fuel tank sending unit.
Fits all Standard 8 models, 1948-50
Part #403066
Sorry, no gasket
$150

Posted on: 2021/8/6 17:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved