Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hinge pins - loose hinges
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
As I take apart my 42 I noticed the lower hinges are a bit loose at the pin.
The only part that is worn is the center section that pivots

I have two options as I see it

#1 - I can buy new pins that are .275 in diameter that match the old pins, I can braze up and re-drill the center section one end at a time to the proper size and this will take up any wobble

#2- I can buy over sized .340 pins and re-drill the both pieces of the hinge to the correct size

Thoughts on either method or a better method would be appreciated

Thanks, Jerry

Posted on: 2021/5/25 13:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Hinge pins - loose hinges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I would recommend using a reamer instead of a drill. You can buy 9/32" pin stock from MSC, which would be 0.281". You can get a 9/32" reamer from Machine Supply Discount Shop. This would be a zero clearance fit so you would need to sand down the pin to give it a few thousands clearance. You would also need to shape the pin head to match that of a Packard pin. Access to a lathe would make sanding the pins a lot easier.

The hinges would probably need to be removed from the car/door.

I'm sure that there is some machinist out there who has a much better idea.

Or maybe find a couple of set of good hinges out there just waiting to be primed and painted.

Posted on: 2021/6/2 3:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved