Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard Crushathon 1977
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The sad thing is that it is not related to then. It is happening even today. About 4 years ago, Benny Bloodworth
had to clear his land in west central Georgia. He had 50/70 Packards mostly 50's and a lot were V-8 cars. Granted there was not any 5 cars that you could put together
and make 1 good car. They were all parts cars, but a lot of good parts. the word went out that he was clearing and crushing and to my knowledge very few people came to get anything, myself included. I had all of the parts I needed
and I was not in a financial position that I could afford to haul every one of those hulks to a place of safety in order to strip the good parts and scrap the rest.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 9:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is indeed. Doug, the friend mentioned above had about 15 cars on a fenced lot in an industrial section of town for years. City complained so he decided to sell the lot & some of cars. I and a couple of other friends acquired the cars (mostly the V8's) and moved them about 30 miles away along with all the parts he had accumulated from buying out some dealerships. Cars were again put in a private lot along with other cars we collectively owned maybe 25 or 30--well off the beaten path on Bobs property-- all was good for years but one day about 5 yrs ago a county ditch tender inspecting canals saw them and turned in a complaint. I had given my interest to Bob by then so he moved several again to an undisclosed location. Some of the worst ones that had given up many parts were reluctantly sent to the carlot in the sky rather than trying the move. They still had a lot to offer but twas not to be.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 11:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

I've no doubt that there was a rivalry between the two clubs. As I understand it, the second club was created by people who had been members of the first club, but not satisfied with the way things were.

I just don't believe that rivalry had anything to do with cars being sent to the crusher.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 11:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My

The crusher part comes in due to lack of notice outside the area. How many read the LA Times that live more than 50 miles away. Maybe the original owner was hoping for more response before calling the club.

The rivalry or perception therof part comes in because there was not a lot of communication --official or otherwise-- between the clubs & their respective members after the split. I believe the club that was contacted on short notice did not spread the news farther than a few of their own members.

Whether due to rivalry or lack of time, it just barely trickled out to anyone outside the area after a day or so. As I recall, Doug said he got a call from one of his friends--not sure it was even a Packard friend-- who had heard secondhand or maybe had seen the article. That was the first notice anyone up here 200 miles away knew of it. There was no time left then.

My

Posted on: 2009/3/17 12:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I'll put my in here. and i also said this on the h.m. blog a big part of the problem i see is the price put on many of these cars. during the crushathon that may not have been the case. But now that we have the "auctions" on cable, people see an old car sell for big bucks and think that their old car out by the barn is worth a mint. I'm a young guy (32) and i have several packards. most all of mine i paid under 1000$ for. but they all need work. i can do that, and i have time.but most of the ones i find are way more than that.

case in point. i'd love to have a pre-war car. and there is one less than ten miles from my house. A good solid, running driveable '41 120 sedan. all original, 99.9% complete, no rust. just need your basic complete resto. the day it showed up i went and looked at it. armed with my current hemmings and pages printed off pac's web-site of similar 41's for sale. at the time a fully restored 41 120 was going for 20-24k and a nice original for around 30k. this man bought this car cause he saw one sell on the "tv auction" for big bucks. he showed me the bill of sale where he paid $65,ooo for it! YES I SAID 65K! and he said he will let it set and rot to the ground before he will take less than $75,000 for it! Gotta make a profit you know!

Needless to say four years later it's still sitting there. i drive by it reguarly. and hope some day he'll either change his mind, or his family will get it and some one who cares will take home a pretty decent 120 for a fair price.

There is also a 55 400 near here that is mostly complete and would be perfect parts to finish my 55 400, and a great shell for patches to help save my 56 400. this one is not worth restoring. every peice of chrome and potmetal is bad the interior is completely shot. mechanicly it needs absolutely everything. all the glass is bad. and it's been hit in the rear! it's almost strictly sheet metal. and the man wants an offer of at least 2500 to 3000 before he'll even talk to you. and once he finds out you want it for parts, not to restore. your done!

Posted on: 2009/3/17 18:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved