Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

V8 Piston damage what do you think happened
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
me and my dad were looking at my one bad piston tonight, scrapped on it and found this. it looks like something was hitting the crap out of the cylinder. just a bunch chunks and divots.

so...1 of 2 things.

order all new Egge.

or buy 1 piston from one of you guys willing to sell.

later,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (37.35 KB)
491_49d41207e34ab.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (35.97 KB)
491_49d4121051763.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (34.15 KB)
491_49d412184dac1.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (37.24 KB)
491_49d412203047b.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2009/4/1 20:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Piston damage what do you think happened
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What's the head and cylinder look like. Think what you get will be determined by rest of cylinders and general shape engine in -- does it have to be bored?

If you get the Egge be sure and set them up with the the wider skirt clearance recommended by others in the forum NOT the specs in Packard Manuals. Voice of hard learned experience here.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
It's hard to tell from the photo, but could it be a form of electrolysis, or just corrosion from sitting up? The condition of the rest of the pistons and the heads could help in identifing the problem.
John

Posted on: 2009/4/1 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pending further information it is probably due to a previous engine failure and the rebuilder just reused the piston. If the upper ring land is not distorted then probably just reuse that piston depending on wheather there is any damage to the side which is difficult to determine from the pic.

Will Egge sell u just one piston?????

Most likely it's as Jselph mentioned, electrolisis. usualy when something lets go in the engine it beats around on the entire surface of the piston crown, not just in one specific area like the pic shows.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 21:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
we thought it was someone put the wrong size spark plug in and it hit on the piston, but that would not leave a mark that wide. as you guys said, some that was in the cylinder would have pinged all over the place, not just in that one spot. it is on the downside of the piston, so it looks to me that maybe some liquid got into the cylinder and curroded it a bit. i don't think it was ever rebuilt, but it could have been considering the big crack in the block was fixed at one point.

the side of the piston is mared up a bit too, but not too bad.

i don't really feel comfortable reusing this piston, not with the money i want to spend on it and have spent on it. your only as strong as your weakest link. so for me it would either be 7 original pistons and one from someone that will sell me a good original. or the egge solution. i doubt that Kanter will have these made by the time i get to this part of the project.

i have not really followed the V8 threads, so i will need to go back and read, but i will admit...i am going to be throughly confused i am sure. i know i have read bits from Jack Vines and thought....WTF!! i have no idea what he is talking about, but this is my first engine too, so.....

i just want it done right etc.., BUT if i had a choice i would like to run the original/ original style pistons....i know noone will really know, but i want it to be as much original as i can, within reason of course.

the cylinder walls look fabulous and from what i remember the heads are okay too. this will be all looked over at the machine shop too though. i want the works on this thing. it deserves it after all these years of neglet and misuse. poor baby.....

i will try to take better pics, but the batterys in my camera just die way too quick and i end up using the cell phone which sux.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/4/1 22:40
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Looks like a text book case of detonation.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Could this explain the large welded patch in the side of the cylinder wall on your block that you discovered earlier this year? Your poor Packard engine has really had a hard life.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If the machine shop OKs the block without boring it, then you should be able to find an original V8 piston, which because of its construction is better than an Egge. Wait and see what your machinist says.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If it's a standard bore 352", I'd contribute a good used piston toward the effort just for the cost of shipping.

thnx, jack vines.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 0:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Portlandon, i don't think it has to do with the cracked water jacket. the number 2 piston, which is this one, is on the opposite side of the block as the crack is repaired and even if it was the number 2 piston is the front of the block and the crack was in the rear of it. nice theory though.

i need to scrap off the crud on the others and make sure i am good with the rest. i will clean them up and post pics of them for you guys to inspect as well, to make sure they are still good.

i would much rather beable to reuse them, rather than go with Egge and have to deal with all that stuff.

i am pretty sure it is the standard 352 bore. all the pistons look to be original and i can't really tell if there was any work done internally before, but i doubt it. at the worst i think maybe it could have been honed and a different set of rings installed, but even then it looks to be untouched to me and my dad.

Jack, THANK YOU!! YOU FREAKING ROCK DUDE!!!

once i get to taking this behemoth to the machine shop i will let you know what they say and will be in touch as to that piston you have. seriously! YOU ROCK!

i have never had this much help, so far, from any other car forum. you guys rock and roll big time! Packard ROCKS!

seriously i can not thank everyone enough!

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/4/2 8:31
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved