Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1934 shock links
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks all,
Not only are you all informative on Packards but computor whizz kids as well.
Thanks all.
This time i'll spell Terry correctly.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Todd.
Yes I have some photos of the links and as soon as I can figure out how to get them on to here I,ll post them to the thread.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/5 0:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Terry,

Take a Captain Cook at the 104 pic's (doesn't include the 20 I deleted because of operator error) of shock links in this Picasa Albumhttp://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadesWorkshopApril2009#

If any are miss-captioned, out of focus, etc then blame me but leave a comment on the pic and I'll fix it. Probably never been so many pic's taken of '34 shock links, this could be the definitive pictorial essay on the subject.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.03 KB)
226_49d9d25b42ea4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/6 5:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks correct to me, at least in style. Can't verify dimensions.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Mal,
Exactly what I'm looking for.
Would it be cheeky to ask if Wade has any of these parts for sale or do you know of any floating around the lovely Continent of Oz? (oh To come back again for a visit)If not I will try to fabricate some but unfortunately your little sketch does'nt give quite enough info such as rod diameter, Thread size and type ie u.n.f or u.n.c Hole sizes and radius of the fork and distance between fork and metal thickness.
Have you any details on the support bracket which fits to the axle, which is probably the most difficult bit to make.
I hope I,m not asking too much here but I am over the moon with the info you kindly supplied.
Lookforward to hearing from you soon
Best regards
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/6 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Todd,
Take a look at Ozstatmans last reply to me and you will see exactly what the shock links look like.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/6 11:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
looks to me if you measure the width of your shock end with the rubbers in you should be able to print that picture and figure out the scale of it and use one of those triangle scale rulers to determine the right dimentions of the rest of the part., now as far as making a set you might be able to cheat a bit and make it easy by taking the shafts from a set of old worn out tube shocks which will have the washers rubbers and nuts and will no doubt be strong enough for the rod end. then one could hand form the fork end and tig them together. or if your short on hammer forming experience it wouldnt be that hard to build a u-shape female die from some heavy bar and a corrasponding male die and press them out of flat bar or thin plate in an average shop press.looks like a bit of a cup shape on the bottom so you would probably want to make the end of the male die on a lathe and free-style the corrasponding bowl in the female die with a die grinder.

Posted on: 2009/4/7 1:43
metal shaper by trade and hobby
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks for the reply Todd. As an ex welder fabricator you and I think on the same lines. The bit I do come unstuck on is the scaling down of pictures. I would rather have the piece to hand to copy or some working drawings with a lot of poetic license on the shape of things to obtain something that looks the part
Take care
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/7 1:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
well if you still have conections in the industry i'd sugest getting you th get someone to whip out rough dies from 3 inch plate on a decent waterjet cutter(any good ship yard should have one) ant it should make short work of making the buck. as far as dimentions it looks to me like the end radius is about an 1/8th inch larger than the center line to edge measurment of the fork and pivots from about an 1/8th lower than the centerline of the hole. the fork radius from what i can see is equal to half the width of the shock arm with rubbers, all the pics look like it flows in and out of the radius smoothly. most chalenging part looks like it would be shaping the two dies for the dip at the bottom. but a fun and challanging afternoon project none the less

Attach file:

jpg  (2.02 KB)
1407_49dafe3ab0d00.jpg 128X96 px

Posted on: 2009/4/7 2:18
metal shaper by trade and hobby
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
traumjaegercat wrote: Hi Mal,
Exactly what I'm looking for. Would it be cheeky to ask if Wade has any of these parts for sale or do you know of any floating around the lovely Continent of Oz? (oh To come back again for a visit)If not I will try to fabricate some but unfortunately your little sketch doesn't give quite enough info such as rod diameter, Thread size and type ie u.n.f or u.n.c Hole sizes and radius of the fork and distance between fork and metal thickness. Have you any details on the support bracket which fits to the axle, which is probably the most difficult bit to make. I hope I'm not asking too much here but I am over the moon with the info you kindly supplied. Look forward to hearing from you soon Best regards Terry

Earlier today I caught Terry in the Chatroom and he took the opportunity to nail me about his questions above. I had to admit I'd only skimmed the post so it was very slack of me not to reply. But never fear, things worked out in the end. Terry asked in Chat "That sure was a lot of info, thanks a lot. I hope I wasn't too cheeky in asking for further info. Would Wade consider selling those parts?" I tried phoning Wade while in the Chat with Terry but Wade's phone has been playing up today so didn't make contact then. However later Wade phoned me and I explained Terry's request and, good guy that he is, Wade was agreeable. Just have to work out the details now so that a deal can be done. And as I said to Wade, how many guys have a '34 parts chassis, a rare commodity you'll agree? Anyway the outcome looks to be that Terry will benefit from 2 rear shock mounts, 2 front axle shock mounts, 2 rear shock links and 1 front shock link(the other front link is broken).

PS - I don't want this to be open slather on Wade's '34 parts chassis as I believe there are a fair number of parts which are NOT available.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.01 KB)
226_49ddbd0738583.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.64 KB)
226_49ddbd183d469.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (13.24 KB)
226_49ddbd258e0d8.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 4:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved