Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 28

Ben H, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard 740 mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
In the photo of the car as it now exists, in green, which I agree looks much better than the ice cream truck colors it was wearing, the battery box looks absolutely huge. Is that a by-product of altering the length of the fender? I've never noticed the battery boxes being that prominent before on these cars.

Posted on: 2022/5/5 15:44
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

TJH
See User information
Yes it's correct and in that position on Deluxe 7th & 8th Series cars with a lid on top. Tom Hartz

Posted on: 2022/5/5 18:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

A four speed non-synchromesh transmission with "short throw" from 3rd to 4th.
Tom Hartz

Perhaps I'm mistaken (not unusual), but I believe all 1930 Packards had the four-speed transmission.

In regard to the steering wheel, The 1931 wheel is indeed much nicer than the 1930. Most people are unaware of this subtle "modification" to our Speedster, but it sure looks better, and it's much more desirable to hold onto as well.

Attach file:

jpg  Motor Trend.jpg (204.97 KB)
404_62752d1b36b1e.jpg 1920X1192 px

Posted on: 2022/5/6 8:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

TJH
See User information
West, you are correct, the seventh series had four speed transmissions. The difference is that in '31 there was a redesigned gearbox with third gear being constant mesh, and the shift to fourth was a "short throw." It seems funny that they did this as driving an 840 is a bit different than a Formula race car with paddle shifters, but I guess it was meant to appeal to people who were tired of shifting, as it was just a "short throw." Tom Hartz

Posted on: 2022/5/6 12:14
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

speedster1930
See User information
Absolutely love the new colour and would be very interested to know what it is. Final colour, although obviously subject to personal taste is critical.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 4:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Did George change that steering wheel or did it have that on it when he bought it?

I know at one time he put a veed radiator on it, and bolted a second transmission onto the back of the stock trans so he could have an overdrive. I think he also tried sealed beams inside the headlights.

He never changed the steering wheel on the Phaeton. However, that horn button and throttle plate is 7th series so that has me thinking he did that.

As well, what is going on with that shifter? The Phaeton shifter was stock.
I have seen several of those cars where they installed the 9th series four speed thinking no one would notice.

After bombing around in Billy Hirsch's 745 I'm a big fan of the 7th series trans. It's a totally awesome unit and I would never want anything else.

As well, there should be a number on the steering box and maybe he changed the whole thing. The trans went in the Phaeton and he put an 8th series trans in it.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 15:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Another thought on that roadster thing, underhood is a mess. I remember George had one of those carburetors and the only way to mount it would have been to cut up the manifold. We didn't do it. The vacuum tank in those pictures is a riot. Looks like it is being used to decant whiskey. And that manifold is missing a nut. I guess mechanically sorted means a fresh tank of gas. If it looks bad in pictures, it's really bad.

That place seems to send a lot of cars overseas. They had Kanter's car. I wonder what happened to that one? He told me he'd never sell it. I guess some Russian oligarch said sell or be poisoned. That was a good car. I hope they didn't tear it up just because they wanted a different color.

There is a lot of crooked money overseas. Maybe those guys think they can trade cars like stocks and use them as a laundry.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 20:04
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved