Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937er mechanical fuel pump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
hello, there are no lines installed on my mechanical fuel pump from the 1937 8-cylinder.
an electric pump was installed.
I want to convert this back to the original mechanical pump.
how and where are the lines connected? I have a charter carburetor.

thanks Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/22 16:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937er mechanical fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
You can look at the factory renderings of your 282 motor on this site. Use the Packard decoder menu and use X115403 as an engine number. You will see in the image it is pretty simple. Not shown is the steel line that comes from the tank into the engine compartment on the passenger/righthand side and it has a rubber gas line at its end that will fasten to the rearward port fitting on the pump. Illustrated you can see where there is then a steel line that runs from the forward fitting up to the carburetor.

Posted on: 2022/5/22 19:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
My fuel pump died today on my '37 115c. Rebuild kit on the way. The pump installed appears to be a correct style AC dual action pump, but the wipers are not connected to the fuel pump/vacuum pump.

Can someone chime in on what this connection looks like? I assume that the line connects to one of the threaded ports on the upper section of the assembly. A previous owner connected the vacuum line to the intake manifold. Wipers have never worked; rotted hoses under the dash were removed to cure a massive vacuum leak.

Posted on: 2022/5/22 20:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The vacuum section of the pump is connected in series with the wiper motor. Wiper motor connects to the pump inlet side and manifold port connects to the pump outlet port. I don't know exactly where the supply port is located on the 37 manifold but there should be a dedicated port. Later engines had them on the manifold at the top front or rear or under the carb and there could be more than one. Most wiper only ports are 1/8" pipe size. Some carbs also have a vacuum port for the wipers at the bottom in the throttle plate casting.

1/4" steel tubing runs from the manifold (or carb) and wiper motor to the pump. Pump connections depend on the pump. Some have threaded ports that need fittings to connect the tubing directly and other pumps have hose barb type nipples and use a short length of vacuum hose to connect to the metal tubing going to the manifold and wiper motor.

Normal manifold vacuum will be stronger and in much greater volume than the pump will produce so the springs in the valves in the pump are overcome and valves are held open. Pump basically acts as a pass thru and diaphragm just goes thru the motion with nothing it can do. When manifold vacuum drops due to load or a wide open throttle down below what the pump can do the valves will then be able to close and pump takes over but at a reduced volume which is enough to keep the wipers moving but usually at a slower speed.

Posted on: 2022/5/22 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Interesting--thanks. Right now, there is a line from the manifold to a rubber line, that then goes through the firewall to the wiper assembly. Wipers haven't ever worked, and there was an enormous vacuum leak under the dash due to swollen and corroded hoses. I've just disconnected the whole thing and plugged the line for now. Yet another bastardized "repair" on the car to figure out.

Posted on: 2022/5/26 23:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to getting the vacuum lines and pump plumbing sorted, due to the age the wiper motor internal seals and gaskets may be dried out. You will probably find it necessary to have the wiper motor rebuilthttps://rebuildingtricowipers.com before wipers will work satisfactorily.

Posted on: 2022/5/27 9:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Almost certainly the case, HH.

Posted on: 2022/5/27 22:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved