Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: lug nutz?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The garage I go to has a torque stick - different colors for different torques. They normally use a grey colored one for 100 ft-lbs. They are for use with airguns, otherwise they would just be a ten inch extension.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Actually the "self tightening" idea only works on wheels with one center nut/bolt

Want to think about that statement a bit further?

Thought about it and yep - only is applicable to a center nut

Posted on: 2009/4/15 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thought about it and yep - only is applicable to a center nut

OK, try this if you have a lathe with a 4-jaw chuck. Chuck a threaded rod off-center, simulating one of the lug bolts. Put on a loose-fitting nut and carefully mark it's position by the # of threads from the end, or any other way that doesn't add friction. Then run the lathe thru a series of abrupt accelerations and modest slow-downs (or visa-versa), and recheck the position of the nut.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I think the whole idea of left handed threads be them lug bolts or lug nuts is silly. If it was all that necessary all cars today would have them. And yes there were many makes that had left handed lug nuts/bolts on one side in the 50's.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
The garage I go to has a torque stick

Don't like them. I think you can still over torque using one of those and an impact wrench.

I watched a guy at Wheel Works here in California misuse a break type torque wrench. He would push on the wrench handle till it snapped or broke then give it one more hard crank. He really leaned into it. Went way past the torque set on the wrench. So much for torque wrenches. Seems a better use of it at that store would have been to hit the tire changer over the head with it.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bob51 u're SO CORREcT!!!

Many make constant reference to "trained, certified, proffesional installation " seems to be the modern trend of the last decade. It's a buyer beware market in the service industry just as much as any other market.

Remeber the theft proof wheel covers of the 80's???? Needed a key to get them off. SOOOOOOOOooo many of those keys wound up on the floor or in trash can of nearly all tire shops. And there sits the owner out on the side of the road with no way to get the wheel cover off. I sure don't trust any of them.

Lets face it, people working in tire stores or road side assistance are not exactly rocket scientists or master mechanics. Most of them were most likely flipping burgers last week or a telemarketer selling extended warranties.

Now, onto safety glasses. I expect any day now to open up a roll of toilet tissueand have a pair of safety glasses fall out with a set of instructions for use along with a privacy act notice.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 21:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Bob, you misunderstood me - I think. It is not a torque wrench. It looks like an extension, about ten inches long, and must be used with an air gun. It will not overtighten lug nuts no matter the air setting. If used as a regular extension with a breaker bar, all bets are off. It must be used with an air gun. There are several different sticks (extensions) depending on the desired torque.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
A friend of mine owned a small tire shop and one day we tested those torque sticks against a real torque wrench. The torque sticks were not very consistent and some of them were 10-20% off from their rated torque. He always used a real torque wrench from then on.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Bob, you misunderstood me - I think. It is not a torque wrench.

I know what they are and I understand the principal behind them. I just think, in the hands of most of these so called mechanics, they too can be mis-used.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 12:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved