Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Another one bites the dust
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I was reading an interview with a contractor for Trump Tower and he said that the materials used for the customer units were the cheapest garbage possible and were cheaper than what are used for welfare housing units. Yet the sales literatures reads like "Only the finest craftsmanship and materials ..."

That is what these junkrod ads read like.

Especially crap like "owned for twenty years and driven 600 miles..."; only 20 miles a year? Isn't that corroboration as to these things being junk? If you used your 29 Packard to buy groceries you would put more miles than that on it.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 6:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I am somewhat confused about some of the comments posted to Tim Cole’s posting of the restomod.
I have no idea whether someone urinated in a cathredal by bastardizing a pristine car or whether the unit shown was a basket case saved from the crusher or …maybe a complete recreation.
Virtually every popular car style has been recreated. Glen Prey produced Auburn Speedstere and did it well enough that his cars are now accepted for judging.
The Shelby Cobra, the Cord and even the
Dusenbergs have generated recreations….some of which are spectacular works of engineering.
You can purchase a 57 Chevy convertible from CARS that is identical to an original but has no parte from GM.
The preservation of original Corvettes is as important to purists at the AACA and Bloomington.as the concern for preserving classic Packards but there are full reproductions available and restomods.that incorporate technology of the modern Vette to make the cars more dependable and safer.
These are cars….they were made to be driven and enjoyed. The fact that they were beautifully styled will encourage people to restore originals but also seek to keep the style alive in replicas and….resto mod fashion.
Paying tribute to anyone who does excellent mechanical, paint and body work in this day and age is appropriate. Criticizing shoddy design or workmanship or putting dangerous cars on the road is equally appropriate.
This Forum affords invaluable help to those of us who want to honor and preserve a marque but we should accept and honor those who do quality work on other vehicles.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 9:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
As the old adage goes "there is a butt for every seat". At least some of those derrieres are attached to perpetual adolescents who taste, and outlook never progressed beyond their 16th birthday.

Now prosperous enough to indulge their whims, only those cars that will go fast, look cool, are obviously expensive and will not inconvenience them will do. At its core, it matters not what make of car it originally was, only that it will fulfill those conditions.

When questioned about the appeal of their modified car, often the reply is "you can get there and get back without problems." So, it's not about the car, only about the driver.

Steve

Posted on: 2022/8/9 16:04
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If that is a plastic body the ad would read as such: "F150 chassis on crafted body blah, blah blah ..."

Made to be driven as in when the speed limit on the Merritt Parkway was 35 mph.

If you are not willing to accept limitations then you don't like the cars.

The fact that a 1930 Packard is a 45 mph car doesn't bother me because I want to hear that gear whine. I want to shift that crash transmission. I want that big straight 8. I want to admire a powertrain that doesn't have one piece of plastic in it.

I am thoroughly satisfied with my modern car and have no interest in putting those parts into an old Packard with the commensurate garbage result.

These junkrods are like bolting a Fender pick up onto a vintage violin so it can be used at a punk rock concert. Senseless destruction.

Posted on: 2022/8/10 8:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
These creations are being called Resto Mods. I believe they are more like a Street Rod. Resto Mods tend to preserve the original appearance with modern drive trains and equipment not being noticeable. Street Rods - on the other hand - modify the drive trains and the body appearance, many times drastically. These to me, should be considered Street Rods because of the modified exteriors and appearance. Regardless, everyone get to have an opinion. Fine craftsmanship does not always result in an attractive product.

Posted on: 2022/8/10 10:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I was watching the Mecum Auction Dallas 2022 on TV today . . . perhaps in real time. This car passed the block with a high bid of $280,000. I guess there was a reserve that hadn’t been exceeded, so the car moved to ‘The Bid Goes On’ category . . . off-screen negotiations.

Posted on: 2022/9/10 15:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I was out in the garage crawling around under the ‘48, so I missed the first announcement, but in the ‘Top 5’ auction sales the Packard is listed at $290,000.

Posted on: 2022/9/10 18:01
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved