Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radio for 52 packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

TMoney
See User information
I am probably going to offend some purists out there about this post but. I am wanting to put a modern radio in my 52 Packard 200. I want it to look old but have modern capabilities. I have tried looking on the internet for something like this and found nothing so I figured I would come here seeking help.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 13:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Radio for 52 packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I use this:

https://redirad.com/

it's simple to install, doesn't destroy your classic radio, but it let's you play all your music (and even get FM) through your phone.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there is anything in a complete unit made for the older 6v positive ground Packards or that will be a very good match to the old styling, bezels and size of the dash opening. Unlike other more popular brands apparently there is no call for a custom fit bezel to cover the large stock opening for the new radio faces to blend in -- and it does not help that between 51-4 Packard had a couple of different size openings. A downside to any complete unit will be they are most likely only available in 12v neg ground so may require a polarity change in the car if the also needed power inverter to provide the 12v cannot also handle the polarity change. Vintage Radio does have a few they list for Packard but all are definitely modern looking. I would provide a link but for some reason I am getting grief and blank pages when trying to add links today.

An option might be keeping the stock radio in place and installing a Secret Audio unit from Custom Auto Sound to get something modern in the car. That one controls the radio with a small control unit that can mount under the dash or be hidden. It also has a remote. Vintage Car Radio also has a product called Out of Sight Audio that looks interesting. It has several variations including a hands free phone version. Radio is just a small hidden box that info says is mounted behind the dash and control is via your phone or other electronic device. If you just to play want modern music, probably the least expensive option is installing the RediRad unit and plugging your phone or mp3 player into that.

A final option with some protests made when others did it due to the needed gutting of the original radio might be to have your original radio converted with one or more of the modern modules installed inside the case. Modules can be customized and available from basic with just AM and FM stations to elaborate with Bluetooth etc. Vintage Radio is just one of many radio places who will do conversions but some features differ with vendors. Vintage's website conversion page shows various modules available along with some prices.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
1951 and 1952 Packard radios didn't really have bezels as such. The radio dial projected through a close-fitting rectangular opening in the dash while the two knobs simply stuck through the recessed holes with a small chrome bowl-like piece behind each one. Point is, there are no aftermarket radios that are even close to this configuration must less with the wide spacing that the 1951-1952 radios used.

That said, your best bet would be to find a stock radio, then send it out to one of the companies that retrofits old radios to modern innards. That way you'll have the best of both worlds: a radio that matches the car and one that has modern technology.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information

Posted on: 2022/9/15 16:34
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved