Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: '56 Padded Dash
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owens seam looks to be about the same place as mine.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 19:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The dash pad seam of my parts car Executive is the same location as pictured above.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 20:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
The front bead that follows the contour of the IP is not rolled and stitched, but molded to suggest this effect.

That speaks to my question about the front edge of the restored dashes pictured. They are double row stitched across the front. They look just fine, but I don't recall this stitching on any of the three '55 padded dashes I'm most familiar with.

The real problem in fitting these is that the vinyl was formed, just like pre-formed carpeting, and there is no way to cut a piece from flat material that will replicate this. I think using a stretchy material and careful placement of the foam is how the upholsterers get these good results.

You'd think it would be tempting for an aftermarket company to replicate the vinyl molding process and make matching pads. But, of course, they'd have to compete with the nice work that some upholsterers may be able to do cheaper.

Re: Seatbelts. I think it would be a great addition to the FAQ thread if someone with knowledge of seatbelt installation and manufacturers would post a "how-to" there.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 21:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't recall any stitching on the facing edge of the dash pad on the one '55 Patrician I once owned (but sold 15 years ago). It was smooth, and - given the generally poor condition of the car - I believe it was original.

All the '56s that I've owned had some kind of "stitching" on that edge, but the vinyl seemed to have a different texture. I recall a seam and double row of stitching that appeared to be molded, but I also found what appeared to be frayed stitching in the same location on another car. Again, these are all unrestored cars. Perhaps that represents some kind of running production change.

I've no doubt that the production pad was created by heating and vacuum-forming the cover. I'm not sure, however, whether the foam padding was injection molded then the cover and pad assembly cemented to the dash top panel or whether that panel was placed in a fixture, along with the cover, and foam injected between them.

Regardless, I have a feeling that I will be able to manually repad the dash top panel and then heat and restretch the vinyl myself. The vinyl covering on one of the cars is pretty stiff, but I have something that has proven to restore the pliability of vinyl trim in other vehicles that I've owned. Unfortunately, that work ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the padded dash was available in the clippers, and the dash shell is the same. mostly custom clippers were the ones that got them,but that was not always the case. we had a custom that did not have a padded dash, and i have a 56 super that was my great-grandfathers, that dose.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I saw a 56 Clipper in Winchester without the padding. I like it better without the padding. But i won't be removeing any that are good to begin with. I never really liked padded dashes in any vehicle. Don't care much for power steering, and loath power windows and seats and locks.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I feel the same way about padded roofs, one of the dumbest ideas man has ever came up with.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Don't care much for power steering, and loath power windows and seats and locks.

Of course you know you couldn't hardly buy a car built in the last 10 years without those things! I like 'em all except for power steering on some of the smaller cars. Why do they do that?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 18:49
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"but I have something that has proven to restore the pliability of vinyl trim in other vehicles that I've owned..."

Would you be so kind as to share this critical secret?

Posted on: 2010/10/28 0:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
Packard V8, I did not notice any packard in your pic. All I saw was an attractive young lady.

Posted on: 2010/10/28 5:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved