Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 160 starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Bought a rebuilt starter off ebay but I think its got a bad armature.The battery shows 6 volts load tested for 30 seconds still shows 6 volts.Replaced both battery cables with 2/0 cable and ran cables all the way to the starter. When I first installed the starter it turned very slow and then did start turn faster after a few turns. When the engine is hot 165 degrees. shut off the engine and tried to restart the engine it was turning very slow and would not start the engine. The old starter worked better than that.

Posted on: 2022/12/4 16:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 160 starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Sounds like it's best to do some benchtop troubleshooting. If it has brushes, are they making good contact?

Posted on: 2022/12/4 17:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rebuilt motors and generators seems to be a gamble so I guess getting a good part depends on whether the rebuilder was reputable and how thorough the rebuild was and will they stand behind the part. Some of the rebuilders are very thorough, others consider a lube, brushes, commutator dressing and a fresh coat of paint all that is needed and don't look much farther. The real gyps are those that if the item works at all are satisfied calling a rebuild anything with a new coat of paint.

To that end I would wonder whether the rebuild included new bushings. I seem to recall a post from Ross a few years ago where he had a customer with a hit or miss starter that was acting about the same. When he took it apart Ross found very worn bushings was allowing the armature to drag against the field.

Posted on: 2022/12/4 17:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
There are two shops in MI that I use for all of my starters and generators. ALS in Lansing and Ecourse Auto Elect in Ecourse.

Gar

Posted on: 2022/12/4 18:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I came across the starter back in april I bought it because I thought I might need it someday so the warrenty is gone. Im still going to call the guy.This car is fighting me every step of the way

Posted on: 2022/12/5 1:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved