Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 82

Tobs, 37Blanche, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 headlight mount and radiator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
The headlight support is attached to the radiator housing via three bolts...at least the cover/retainer plate is. If I pull those three bolts out it looks like the mounting post sits in a kind of rubber cradle. Do I have that right? I ask because I was planning to remove the radiator and not remove the whole headlight assembly. Does that make sense?
While I'm on the subject, it looks like the radiator and shell need to come out as a unit? Do I have that right? Also, it looks like the radiator/shell combination sits in a kind of cradle and is retained at the bottom with two studs that each sit in a rubber mount and are retained with pinned nuts. It is retained at the top with the two struts that go to the firewall. In addition there are the six headlight bolts, three on either side. Is there anything else?

Posted on: 2023/4/3 16:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 headlight mount and radiator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's been more than 40 years since I removed mine, but as I recall you've got it pretty much correct.

Yes, you remove the radiator core, shutter assemby and shell as a single unit, leaving the headlights in place. And the radiator/shutters/shell is HEAVY!!! Have some help available.

Yes, remove the 6 acorn-headed bolts that secure the headlight assemblies thru the shell to the support assembly behind the shutters. I also recommend you loosen the headlight adjustments, move then outboard for a little better protection from accidential damage, and then cover them with some padding.

Yes, there are two threaded studs that protrude through the front frame cross member. And the cradle rests on the cross member on rubber pads. And obviously remove the radiator hoses, hood and hinge, and the upper radiator support rods.

Have fun and be careful, it's cumbersome and heavy.

Posted on: 2023/4/3 16:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
An engine lift may help to support the front radiator assemble when you remove it.

Posted on: 2023/4/3 18:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Thanks guys for the info. When you say heavy, do you have a guesstimate of how heavy? Is it something two guys can handle?
Also, does the post for the headlight support just sort of telescope out of the way?

Posted on: 2023/4/4 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I removed the assembly alone, but I was a much younger and stronger person back then. I recommend having a helper available both for removal and installation.

When the acorn-head bolts are removed, the horn support triangular plates can be pulled back from the shell and if the original assembly was done correctly there will be just enough clearance for removal. If not, just loosen the lock nut and retract the assembly.

No need to loosen the headlight assembly where it attaches to the fender.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 13:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Thanks for the information. Most helpful.

Bill

Posted on: 2023/4/5 13:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Owen, on a prior inquiry I was asking about cleaning the inside of the radiator. I think you advised oxalic acid. Being unfamiliar with what that is I looked it up and its listed as a wood cleaner? Anyhow, I was wondering why you recommend that instead of something like CLR or Zep? Will those type of products damage the core?

Thanks Bill

Posted on: 2023/4/27 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oxalic acid was the active component in duPont's Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner which is to my knowledge NLA. It's one of a family of chemical compounds with an unique affinity for certain iron compounds such as are found in rust and hard water scale. If you're curious, Google "chelate" or "chelation".

To recore these early radiators can be very expensive and I'm not willing to take risks with mine. I've never used CLR or the other material you mentioned in a radiator; I'd only use materials which are or were previously available specifically for that purpose.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 16:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
You might try a product called RydLyme. I have used it in marine applications to remove rust and lyme deposits in heat exchangers which are made of cooper and brass. It cleaned them to like new condition in about 4 hrs. Look them up on the web and/or call them for advice.

Posted on: 2023/4/27 18:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved