Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1948 coil mounting bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
What size are the bolts that hold the coil to bracket - 1948 288 - Thanks

Posted on: 2023/5/3 23:32
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 coil mounting bolts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
1/4-28

Attach file:

jpg  screw.jpg (86.66 KB)
209_645336d31f3eb.jpg 2178X468 px

Posted on: 2023/5/3 23:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks ! Seem to have lost the original ones --

Posted on: 2023/5/3 23:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
And - What size is the bolt that holds bracket to engine block ? Thanks ! Head size - need to remove bracket to clean

Posted on: 2023/5/27 17:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many of the engines only have a single hole bracket which mounts over one of the head studs so uses that nut and sort of hangs the coil and wire containment assy over the side of the block. If yours mounts differently and uses one of the holes on the side of the head or on the block perhaps this is the item in question so would probably need a 3/8-16 x 5/8 bolt. Doubt that length will be found in a local store so you might have to try shorter or get creative with a longer bolt.

Attach file:

jpg  bracket.jpg (47.46 KB)
209_647285a23c279.jpg 2000X262 px

Posted on: 2023/5/27 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The bracket is original and still attached. - So, I guess it mounts with one of the head bolts - Thanks

Posted on: 2023/5/27 23:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It typically does NOT mount to a head bolt as putting it ther would affect proper head torquing. There was a small hole on the side of the head to which it attached, similar to the holes for the oil filter mounting.

By the way, please delete your duplicate post.

Posted on: 2023/5/28 2:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
It typically does NOT mount to a head bolt as putting it ther would affect proper head torquing. There was a small hole on the side of the head to which it attached, similar to the holes for the oil filter mounting.

On some engines the cable bracket assy does mount using a head bolt. Cannot say which years or engines or when the practice stopped but here is one such bracket mounting on a 47 356. Coil is not located on this 47 bracket and don't know if the same coil style bracket as others was used on the 48-50 356 engines. There is no hole on the 47 head side in the vicinity of the bracket but maybe that changed in later heads.

Doubt the top mounting would affect setting the proper torque since it effectively acts just like a washer but it is a pain to mess with head bolts if you want to remove it. For whatever reason Packard saw fit to do it that way.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2654.jpeg (102.80 KB)
209_64736174c967f.jpeg 955X1017 px

Posted on: 2023/5/28 9:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
That's odd. My '46 and '47s have that through-the-firewall coil arrangement with the hot wire connecting to the coil's bottom behind the dash. Can't say for sure about my pre-war Clippers. I just don't recall.

That bracket near the distributor reminds me of the 22/23 series cars.

In either case, it seems to me that I read somewhere that coils should be mounted upright for best performance. When I changed the one on my '46, I did just that.

Posted on: 2023/5/28 10:26
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The bracket that Howard showed is the one through which all the plug wires are guided. The coil was elsewhere but I think that 1947 may have been the last of the firewall mounts but I'm not sure.

Posted on: 2023/5/28 14:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved