Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

Steve, Kevin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vibration ignition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Today I read in a serious source about a postwar government vehicle (no Packard relation) with an emergency ignition system, which works when the normal ignition system fails. The driver has a switch beneath the dashbord to activate it and after activation, the car is able to drive for 30 minutes. The alternative ignition system itself is described as "vibration ignition" but no further details are given. I asked Google but there was nothing.

Posted on: 2023/6/10 11:07
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: vibration ignition
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if it was anything like the old Model T ignition system which used a vibrator circuit to produce a spark. I think the T used individual coils but if points failed and a vibrator worked a single coil it might work. Timing would probably be for crap unless somehow the distributor was modified at the same time and could factor that into the spark to the plug timing but maybe work well enough to keep the vehicle moving.

Posted on: 2023/6/10 11:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
A perfect starting point for further research. Howard, that was great!

Posted on: 2023/6/10 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
'Vibrator Ignition" might be a better search term. Other possibilities: "Buzz Coil", "Trembler Coil", "Master Vibrator"

Posted on: 2023/6/10 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yes, every of the mentioned search terms has been better than mine, thanks.
Meanwhile, I found out that this ignition system is as old as the automotive engineering. Even the Benz Patent-Motorwagen was furnished with it in 1885.

Click to see original Image in a new window

-> Here is, how the shower of sparks looks like.

Posted on: 2023/6/10 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
It sounds like trembler coils. They use the magnetism of the coil operation to turn it back on so you end up with a continuous series of sparks when you have power. So the distributor will just connect power to it just after TDC but the power stays on a bit to get many sparks.

Of course, each spark is less powerful than a normal coil. Tremblers are great if the engine needs to run on any fuel imaginable, like 20 octane gas. A normal ignition system gives more efficiency and power but the fuel must be sufficiently volatile to deflagrate with the single spark. Makes sense for wartime use if fuel quality was intermittent. I see no real use in a normal postwar vehicle.

Posted on: 2023/6/10 17:37
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved