Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 177

MissDaisy , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rebuilding distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Have you ever rebuilt a distributor? I went to remove my condenser to test it and noticed that the shaft has quite a bit of side play, a problem to be sure. This doesn't surprise me as when I went to fill the grease cup on it a couple of months ago it looked as though it had been forgotten for a long long time, the grease looked and had the consistency of tar. I think the lack of proper lubrication probably caused premature bushing wear. Seems like a project that I, and YouTube, could tackle, but what do I know? Thoughts?

Attach file:

jpg  Distributor.jpg (71.08 KB)
226104_6489ee8754918.jpg 1023X742 px

Posted on: 2023/6/14 11:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilding distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Replacing bushes is not difficult if you have a way to size them after installation, which usually involves reaming. You'd be working with some delicate parts, and wear in things like piovot pins may not be easy to assess. Small springs in the centrifugal advance can stretch or lose tension. If the shaft is very loose, replacing the bushes would no doubt make a significant improvement.

A new shaft, bushes, and springs would be nice, if they can be had.

Posted on: 2023/6/14 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
Replacing bushes is not difficult if you have a way to size them after installation, which usually involves reaming. You'd be working with some delicate parts, and wear in things like piovot pins may not be easy to assess. Small springs in the centrifugal advance can stretch or lose tension. If the shaft is very loose, replacing the bushes would no doubt make a significant improvement.

A new shaft, bushes, and springs would be nice, if they can be had.

Good point about potentially needing to ream the bushing. I would think the clearance should be quite low like 1-2 thousands.

Posted on: 2023/6/14 13:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Two thousandths clearance on a distributor bushing fit is excessive, I suggest less than half of that as a maximum, and preferably about 0.0005".

Posted on: 2023/6/14 14:27
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
This used to be local parts store stuff, but they haven't sold for decades, since electronics. (pet peeve)
If the cam & drive gears in good shape, shaft OK, I think you can still buy Delco dist. bushing(s)/shims, try Brillman. Not sure about the other parts, they may have too.
We're somewhat spoiled by reliability of modern conveniences and progress when dealing with these old cars.
These were "oiled" though a side arm cup, so the oil has to flow/seep into the bushing space, can't be too tight. When you see those little snap caps on the end, they're for oil. Every household had oil cans about, but rarer today. If grease is in it, something is wrong and maybe why it failed or wasn't lubed/incorrect.
Oilite bushings are porous and made/come impregnated with oil.
There are several distributor rebuilders around, I'd contact one of those to see what they can do. They deal with this all the time.
Without the machine and the right specs/ parts, you'd be taking a chance of failure DIY, if it's wobbling much, not running good.
If it's been running OK, U R just curious/want to learn, then maybe not so much an issue here. They don't wear to much if maintained. But U did not state that info, only asked how to?
Sounds like the (growing) lack of knowledge with points vehicles. Condensers are usually just changed with points not tested.(Capacitance tester req'd.) Inexpensive item and somewhat fragile material under charge.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
FJ offers some good information on these distributors. Some of them used a grease cup on the side of the body to lubricate the bushing and shaft. Many people do not understand what these are and how to service them. This inattention can lead to wear on the bushing and shaft.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 11:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved