Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

dallas, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Paint cracking question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I was working on one of my cars that has been asleep since last fall. The paint job was excellent but the past couple years I notice cracks showing up. Is there anything i can do to slow or stop the cracking process. its been painted about 20 years. I tried covering it and not covering it over the winter. Nothing seems to help will a special wax help? its very frustrating to see this. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 16:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint cracking question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Assuming it is a lacquer paint job, I believe some cracking is pretty much inevitable and not much can be done to prevent it.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 16:44
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Old cars have welded body panel joints that were lead-filled at the factory.

It's very common to see some cracking of older paint jobs along these joint lines.

Old leaded body repair may also show the same issues.

The Packard Body Manual shows where a number of these joints and seams are located on the pre-war cars.

Factory lead filled body joints were common up through the 1950s across all makes.

General areas of paint cracking and crazing can have a number of causes.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My '34 Eight still has quite a bit of original paint and what cracking did occur in that old paint was over leaded joints. Another common cause of age cracking with lacquer paints can be excessive paint thickness.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
In the ‘70s i had an acrylic enamel paint job that started getting little chicken feet which soread all over. Now if theres a scratch or scrape or pock mark, i just take it off the car and to the paint job for a perfect match. The glory of PPG Envirobase paint.

Posted on: 2023/6/15 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
in the 80s i painted 1 car with lacquer and a few years later i painted 1 with acrylic enamel. I still have both of those cars The enamel job is holding up the best but none seem to last forever at least for me. But forever isn't as long as it use to be. I won a free ceramic coating at a car show but never used it. Its suppose to be the latest and greatest thing and better than wax. Anyone know anything about that?

Posted on: 2023/6/16 5:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

I won a free ceramic coating at a car show but never used it. Its suppose to be the latest and greatest thing and better than wax. Anyone know anything about that?

I just tried it on my new truck. I bought the Mckee's 37 kit after looking at a few options. I have always used wax and was skeptical. There are multiple steps, and it took 2-3 Sundays of spare time to do it right. I didn't let the truck see rain until it was complete. It's a spare vehicle so that allowed me to take my time and do it correctly. You have to get over the psychological aspect of a very thin coating taking the place of a thick coating of wax. This week it saw its first rain event and the beading was as good or better than any wax job I've done. Very slick to the touch too. It is supposed to last three years.. time will tell, so far happy with it.

Posted on: 2023/6/16 10:11
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved