Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 226

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil ports on starter, generator and water pump 1941 engine
Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
How much 30w oil do i put in the ports? Im a bit of a newbie and reading the original owners manual pointed out these ports and weight of oil. My question is: how much oil do i put in? Fill’er up or just a few drops?

Posted on: 2023/6/17 12:18
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Oil ports on starter, generator and water pump 1941 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the starter and generator, just a few drops. The 55-6 manual says 5-10 on the generator and suspect earlier years would be the same. Use the lower amount on the rear or brush end cup because too much oil there can work its way out and deposit on the commutator causing issues. Don't forget the grease cup for the distributor shaft and bushing needs to be packed with cup grease and gets a half turn when you do a lube.

Others will need to comment on the water pump as the postwar pumps I am more familiar with have sealed bearings so no routine oil requirements.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 12:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Thanks Howard!!

Posted on: 2023/6/17 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Regarding the Distributor, I recommend removing the grease cup and cleaning out the old grease using a fine wire to try and include the fine hole to the bushing shaft, mine was akin to bee's wax! Replace it with new 'cup grease' which in today's parlance is NLG1 Grade 2 All Purpose Grease. Here in Canada it is available through Motomaster in Canadian Tire Stores. A search in your area will surely find its local equivalent. The image below shows it in a mini tube I got which will last a couple of life times!
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  NLG1 Multi Purpose Grease.jpg (36.70 KB)
225215_648dfba4e16d1.jpg 1096X1000 px

Posted on: 2023/6/17 13:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Thanks Bob!
I just found the port and it had a little grease but not much. Will look for the little hole. I dont see the image but will search out your suggestion.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 13:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Your image popped up thanks!

Posted on: 2023/6/17 14:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Do i fill the cup up? Or 1/2 or ??

Posted on: 2023/6/17 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes, you fill the cup. The owner's Manual for my '37 120 instructs to turn the grease cup 1 turn every 2000 miles, along with 1 drop of oil to the breaker arm pivot, a few drops on the wick under the rotor and a small amount of Vaseline on the breaker cam. The instructions on my 58 Pontiac were the same so they should apply to your 41 as well but you can find your manual on this site to verify.

So, the small hole I refer to is at the bottom of the funnel shaped fitting the cup screws onto. It can be removed using a 7/16" wrench. Clean it right out and be sure to go right through the small orifice that guides the grease into the bushing surface. Leave it empty and screw the full cup onto it until you see grease exiting the bottom hole. Then refasten it to the distributor and do the one turn to allow for the first application of new lubricant.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Grease Cup Detail.JPG (191.59 KB)
225215_648e18da234c0.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/17 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Palmer. Wasn't that Michael Caine's character in the Ipcress File?

HH56 right as rain as always. Too much oil on the ones he cautions can get on the brushes.

A machinist friend reminds us to use 20 or 30W nondetergent for such oiling duty. In fact, when he and our mutual auto/aero/mechanic/machinist/pilot friend replaced their compressors, they noted such suggested for them, and this was circa 1980.

For the distributor grease cup, we use the black molybdenum/graphite; StaLube, Texaco EP, etc. One of the Seven Sisters petrochemists years ago told us such grease a factor of eight-fold better than the orange fiber grease of the '40s through early '70s.

Had that stuff been around in the day, lotta Packards and other old cars'd still be on the road.

Zen and the Art of Packard Maintenance: Rather than a turn every 1,000 miles, give mine half a turn every 500. Overkill, of course.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 16:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Palmer
See User information
Wow, thanks. In the meantime i took the cap off, cleaned it out good and used a small stainless wire to clean out the cup and hole, and repacked it. but it looks easier in your pic when its on your bench! I know i’m dense, but i dont understand turning the cup every 2000 miles. Of course, i dont put even 200 miles a year on it ….so maybe it doesn't matter!.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 17:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved