Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 255

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing Head On 288
Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
What is the best way to remove the head?
I have all the nuts, bolts and other attachments off, but this car sat for 40 odd years, and doesn't want to let go.

Posted on: 2023/6/23 20:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Head On 288
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try something really simple first; leave the spark plugs in, everything else removed, and crank the starter motor. Sometimes we're lucky and the compression force is enough to pop the head loose.

That failing, use several thin blades like putty or spackle knives and kitchen spatulas (the thinner the better) and carefully work you way along the edges, tapping the blade into the gasket. Once you get a little clearance, use thicker blades. Be patient and careful - you don't want to damage the surface of the block or the head. Typically just working along the non-manifold side of the head is sufficient but if it's really stuck you might consider removing the manifolds so you have an addition interface to attack.

A little of your favorite penetrating oil around each head stud beforehand can't hurt, might help.

Leave the thermostat housing and the heater water valve installed, they are useful handholds for lifting the head once it's free.

Posted on: 2023/6/23 21:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also a couple good raps on the both sides the head with a heavy mallet may help break loose the gasket or what ever corosion could be holding it firm.

Posted on: 2023/6/23 21:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I am not familiar with the design of the 288 but years ago I needed to remove the head on our 326 Six.
First I determined which pistons came up together, then after removing all the head nuts and spark plugs, I worked some cotton rope into the cylinders and cranked slowly.
This was enough to break the seal and allow me to remove the head.
Perhaps this hack would work for you?

Posted on: 2023/6/23 22:12
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The rope-packing trick has been used with some success.

If you drive anything between the head and block, be very careful not to damage either the head or block surface, and avoid driving anything into a stud or bolt. A knick in the base of a stud could lead to breakage.

If you are working on the valve side of the engine, be careful not to drive anything into any of the studs or the valves.

I would not try using a head puller device that sits on top of the studs and pulls up on the head via the spark plug threads on a 10 mm plug head or an aluminum head.

Posted on: 2023/6/23 22:38
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
The head is off, thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
What did you do?

Posted on: 2023/7/10 19:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved