Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rumble Seat Weathestrip
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking at some reference pictures of various 36 and 37 cars, I've seen some with the rumble seat weatherstrip glue in the body gutter, and then on some cars, it's glued in the lid flange.

"The Production Packard" also references seeing both with no clear answer.

Logically I would assume having it on the lid looks cleaner and seals against the inside edge of the gutter allowing the gutter to flow unencumbered. As opposed to being glued in the gutter itself.

What say you?

Posted on: 2023/6/29 14:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Rumble Seat Weathestrip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I used the same weather stripping as the trunk and applied it into the body channel. This channel curves down at the sides channeling the water into the drip pan below the seat you have just rebuilt. As there is no area to seal against the back edge anyway due to the rotation of the lid this seems logical. However my caveat is there was no old weather stripping on mine to start with so I made an educated guess. Also note that the channel was a little low at the front edge on mine so I shimmed the weather stripping across the front edge to raise it and get a good seal and the lid to close to the body line properly. Needs to be shut with some speed to allow the lid to catch, but I am good with that, means everything is tight and will not squeak or rattle.
Thanks,
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC03100.JPG (233.78 KB)
225215_649de7c697f43.jpg 1920X1446 px

Posted on: 2023/6/29 15:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is another reference picture showing the weatherstrip on the lid.

Attach file:

jpg  1937-packard-115 (21).jpg (28.16 KB)
1_649de9e032c43.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/6/29 15:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My '37 120 C has the weatherstrip on the rumble seat lid. It's very old and very crisp, and appears to be original. The paint on the body is original. The weather strip goes across the upper side of the lid, and only comes down the sides to about the bottom of the lid corner radius on each side, a little lower than the seams on the seat cushion. It doesn't look like there ever was any other weatherstrip used.

The trunk lid weatherstrip is also very old, and almost fills the gutter. There's no weather strip on the trunk lid itself. It may be that the trunk lid weatherstrip was expected to seal tight all around. It's clear that the rumble lid seal never was, and any water that came in around it was supposed to be caught and drained off by the gutter and dumped into the catch tray. What weatherstrip the rumble lid had was clearly inteded to seal against the inner lip of the rumble lid gutter, leaving the gutter itself clear.

I stuck some 1/2 X 3/4 WalMart foam weatherstrip over the petrified original strip on the rumble lid and did the same at the lower edge of the trunk lid.

That improved the closing "feel" and snugness of both and helps keep some road dust out. There isn't enough left of the rumble lid strip to get a good idea of its original profile.

Posted on: 2023/6/29 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
In my dads 56 he pulled it out of the body

And put it on the lid. He wanted no. Water to stand in groove.

Posted on: 2023/6/30 9:49
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, rumble seat weather stripping goes on the lid. The channel in the body is to direct water. Got this info from O_D when I had my 1089.

Posted on: 2023/6/30 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just spoke to Gary Kulp, who has owned his 115-C C.C. since 1957. The weatherstrip on that car was on the rumble seat lid. But, on the trunk, it was in the body gutter.

There was never a seal on the back edge of the rumble seat lid or the corresponding body edge. It was designed to channel water into the drip pan and drain away.

Posted on: 2023/6/30 10:10
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree: rumble seat - on lid; trunk - in channel.

Posted on: 2023/6/30 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's how mine is, and it's almost certainly original.
A new trunk lid seal would probably pretty well eliminate the dust intrusion.
Even with the makeshift WahMart rumble lid gasket I put on, it shuts tight and does not rattle.

Posted on: 2023/6/30 10:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved