Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 359 Noisy Lifters
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed, source a good 327 head if a good 359 head cannot be located. I am sure Ross or Gerry has one or twenty of them lying around.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 13:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The program you have is probably for an OHV car. Remember that this is a side-valve, there is all that volume over where the valves are, which will make calculations using the head gasket thickness and the deck heiight different than for an OHV car. Also because the Packard valves are canted slightly, the calculation for the volume in the side-valve pocket is not straightforward.

Still seems like would be good to get a different head.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It seems to me that Olson’s Gaskets has extra thick head gaskets available but I am not sure if they are for your application.

Posted on: 2023/7/7 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
OK, I'm back. Story soon!

Your easiest preliminary check for noisy lifters is to watch closely while the engine is idling slowly for little geysers of oil shooting up from the lifters. When the lifters are good, there is very little oil needed to keep them happy and you won't be able to see them leak. The iron clad test is to lay the probe of your stethoscope right on the valve stem.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Did you check the lifter-valve stem clearance? 0,030 to 0.070 using a special gague, or the gauge can be made by removing the spring from a lifter. Possible that one or more lifters is tight after the valve seats were ground.

The lifters can be tested. Look at the YouTube video from Speedwell garage.

Speedwell Garage testing hydraulic lifters

I have a copy of this tester and could mail it to you for the cost Ross charged me for making it, $220. But it may take a little while for me to get it packaged up and mailed. Or you could contact Ross himself.

These lifter plungers are the same as used on the other 1951-54 engines. New reproduction lifters are available from Kanter and Max Merrit.

New reproduction lifters can be obtained from Kanter and Max. Max also sells the gauge, or it can be obtained from Pacific Northwest Packard club. Note Max sells two different lifter gouges, one they say is for NOS and one for their reproduction lifters.

@JeromeSolberg

Does a person NEED to use a lifter body to hold the lifter when doing the David Ross lifter test? Or, if a person doesn't have an extra lifter body could a person just fashion something to hold the lifter?

Posted on: 2023/7/15 15:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
We FINALLY got it back together and running on the stand and the lifters are now QUIET.

Using the tool in the lifter, found the exhaust valves had too much clearance and ground them down until we got .050" across the board.

Had issues with leaking coolant and the solid gasket wouldn't seal and replaced with the BEST gasket, coated with copper coat and just ran for 45 minutes no signs of leaks.

We found a head that had 90 CC chambers and the compression came out 8.6:1

Thanks for all the help!
Eric

Posted on: 2023/9/5 14:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved