Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 246

BigKev, TxGoat, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fan on '50 288
Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
How do I remove the fan on my engine? Is there a special trick? The bolt head appears round, is it supposed to be, or has someone pulled on it so much they rounded it?

Attach file:

jpg  KIMG7218.JPG (306.18 KB)
226157_64a9dfc60cf35.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/8 17:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan on
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The smaller round part is the end of the pump shaft and the fan is bolted to a hub which is pressed onto the shaft. The end of the hub has a pilot which is the wider round part and fan slides over that pilot. Fan and pulley are both held by the 4 bolts which thread into the hub.

Attach file:

jpg  fan.jpg (59.13 KB)
209_64a9e505e7694.jpg 862X834 px

Posted on: 2023/7/8 17:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan on '50 288
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
Tks for the answer to the fan removal question. I have been deferring removal of the fan on my 49' for cleaning and paint.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Best to have the radiator out so doesn't get damaged/access.
Clean it well first around the exposed shaft(center) and lube/penetrant to unstick.
Remove all 4 bolts. The part "1926"(hub) is pressed on the shaft so be careful if you try and put a puller on to break free. Should not need one. That hub's position is for alignment. Try to get behind it and wiggle on the hub/cross area not the blades and/or rotate to break free to get off.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Concur with most of Fish'n Jim's post. While the radiator does not need to come out, it is a tight working environment so would be a good idea to protect it and your knuckles with a sheet of cardboard fastened over the fins.

As far as the hub goes, the fan is a slide on fit and barely over the pilot on the hub so hub does not need to move at all. The hub is pressed on the shaft a specific distance depending on engine and should not be disturbed. Only time it is removed would be if you are rebuilding the pump.

According to Kanter, the same base pump assy is used for all engines and models available from approx 1940 thru 1950 and that is how they were able to justify having new pump reproductions made. Only differentiation between pump assys for the small 245 6 and large 356 8 is the hub size and position on the shaft. With that in mind they could repro the basic pump and press the proper hub on the proper distance in order to make the same repro pump assy fit all models.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved