Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 23rd series tail light removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
O'Dave -- While you're in the neighborhood, spray the background gloss white. A Cord friend simply lined his with the shiny side of aluminum foil, but we learned that gloss white better reflects bulbs than that or silver or chrome paint.
Make sure your grounds are good.

Posted on: 4/10 22:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Just chiming in because I did some work on my tail lights recently, the whole rebuild and just bulb replacement. Please excuse my rust...

1. If you're just changing the bulb (or want to get to the socket), take the metal tab and both push it toward the outside of the vehicle while gently pulling on the tab. So for example, if I'm working on the driver's side (i.e. left) tail light, push the tab to the left and pull. You can try working it gently with needle nose pliers if it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It's VERY easy for the socket to suddenly let go, and then you've got a broken bulb and glass inside the lens. Ask me how I know...

2. If you ever feel like getting into the whole reassembly of the tail light, the illustration from the Parts List is a must have. Found here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=19&PlateNumber=81&partslist=1948-1954

The second picture shows what the reinforcement bracket on the fender (4.16012) looks like installed on the vehicle. Might check Merritt, Tucson, Seattle, Packards SW, etc. to see if you can find a set. The studs can be made from 1/4-28 threaded rod. Best of luck!

p.s. 1154 (will have offset bayonets) is the correct bulb for the tail lights. The tail lights and parking lights are the same size bulb. The 1158 listed in the owner's manual is incorrect.

Attach file:

jpg  Socket.jpg (1,482.21 KB)
225648_6617501b9d189.jpg 2125X1594 px

jpg  Tail Light Bracket - Fender.jpg (1,435.21 KB)
225648_661750473a098.jpg 2472X1854 px

Posted on: 4/10 22:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Change the bulb. I figured out how to remove the bulb(s) and replace. I was quite nervous to break off the tabs. While the bulbs worked for running and directional lights both brake light filaments were bad. I am good to go in this area. Off to replacing many other bulbs.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Posted on: 4/12 21:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved