Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Still Rewiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
On a 23 series 1949. Over drive Kick Down Switch. Attached sketch. Is this a through type switch?. For instance if I switched the 43 Yellow wire to where the 44 Yellow is, and vise a versa would it make a difference?.

Dave O

Attach file:

jpg  Kick down relay.jpg (79.08 KB)
224854_64b5cf0496edc.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/17 18:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Still Rewiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both sections of the switch are independent of each other and are both straight thru.

Attach file:

jpg  48-50 R11 schematic.jpg (52.84 KB)
209_64b5d5434bef8.jpg 768X593 px

Posted on: 2023/7/17 18:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thanks Howard; That's what I thought, but I needed verification. My switch is mounted in the opposite placement on from the Packard wiring schematic, or turned with wires facing towards the front on the car. I was worried if I screwed up the wiring placement if that would be a real problem, so as long as I keep the wires on the A and B terminals that's all I need to do. I am getting close to a full fire up testing of my total rewire of this car, and I don't want any Dave screw up problems. I also rewired the rear of the car from underneath. I took pictures in case you or anyone needs them. There is plenty of room for this.

Thanks Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/17 19:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Hi Dave O
I would love to see the pictures of the rearend rewiring you did. I"m currently working on that myself. I"ve been studying the wireing diagrams, but pictures would help.

Posted on: 2023/9/12 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Well, on the rear end. I assume that's what you meant. What do you need?. I pulled the back seat, and ran a new wiring harness up though and into the trunk. Like they would have for a convertible. I did run and extra ground in that harness as well as the power wire (capped off) for the rear of the car. In case some day I pull the headliner and re-wire the rear of the car. What picture did you need.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/9/13 18:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
I’m just trying to learn my way around this car. It looks to me like a previous owner has gone through and done some rewiring and I think he did it wrong. I’ve wired the tail lights, back up light and brake lights as per the electrical diagrams. But I ran into something odd. The brake lights have constant power now even when the key is off. And nothing else works. I’m fixing to trace the wiring harness from the trunk back through the car to see what else might be wrong. So any pictures you think might be helpful I’ll definitely look at.
Just trying to figure this out. And have I said I love old cars. Lol

DaveJr

Posted on: 2023/9/13 22:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Your brake circuit always has constant power to the brake light switch. All cars are like that, even your modern car will have working brake lights even if the ignition is off.

Posted on: 2023/9/14 7:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

DaveJr wrote:
I’m just trying to learn my way around this car. It looks to me like a previous owner has gone through and done some rewiring and I think he did it wrong. I’ve wired the tail lights, back up light and brake lights as per the electrical diagrams. But I ran into something odd. The brake lights have constant power now even when the key is off. And nothing else works. I’m fixing to trace the wiring harness from the trunk back through the car to see what else might be wrong. So any pictures you think might be helpful I’ll definitely look at.
Just trying to figure this out. And have I said I love old cars. Lol

DaveJr

In the case of your 23rd series the brake lights get power from a splice in a wire connected to the always powered accessory circuit breaker mounted on back of the cluster. Power for other always on items such as the front courtesy and glove box lights are part of that splice. Some options such as the rear courtesy lights can also be powered thru the breaker but will be connected directly rather than by a splice.

Source power for the breaker and other always on items comes directly from the battery which connects to one side of the ammeter. Via a splice in the wire connected to the other side of the ammeter the main always powered items such as the ign switch, headlight switch, accessory breaker, etc are connected to the battery.

Posted on: 2023/9/14 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Howard & BigKev
Thanks for the information. I'll be running down the issue this weekend. I appreciate the help

Posted on: 2023/9/15 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Constant power. also should be the door lights, headlights and the horn. Although the headlights will only work off the switch. The power is always there. Again if you need any photos, I have taken some.Try to study the schematic on this site for your car. I will help you understand where things go and why. It was my Bible as I rewired my car. Although sometimes I didn't understand the splices and where they were. I just did it. All seems to be working on my 23rd Series Car.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/9/17 17:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved