Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 120 Hood center piece
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I am re-assembling the hood on my '37 120 sedan convertible and cannot remember if the center chrome piece snaps into place or has to be pushed/fed along the center channel.

Also I notice two weld marks on the underside of the center chrome piece (see attached photo) that would appear to prevent the assembly. I do not remember them being there prior to being re-chromed. Are they suppose to be there or could they have been put there by the company doing my re-chrome? (for some reason)

Attach file:

jpg  100_0558 Hood.jpg (283.60 KB)
225340_64bae2e2e4330.jpg 1024X1365 px

Posted on: 2023/7/21 14:56
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 120 Hood center piece
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Possibly the plating company welded on some hangers so that it could be supported in the tank. Bad practice but I've seen it before when when no instructions are given and some kind of tight-fitting conductive clips are not supplied when sending it in!

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I assembled mine by placing it in place along the length of the hood then snapping it over the hood's hinge lip. To aid in this I painted on some dish soap to allow a smooth install and not mar the paint.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Hood sub-assembly.JPG (210.11 KB)
225215_64bbcf080d19d.jpg 1706X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/22 7:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the response. Don I assumed the welds were added to assist with re-chroming and must now be removed to allow it to be snapped in place - carefully ground out and area painted to prevent rust. Bob thanks for the advice on install - snap in place and to use dish soap. I only hope the re-chrome did not add too much thickness or make the center piece too brittle.

Posted on: 2023/7/22 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have to admit knowing little about 1937 and earlier Packards other than general mechanics that were common for many years so I am curious. Was this strip steel rather than stainless?

Posted on: 2023/7/22 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I hope those welds don't give you too much trouble but you are right as there is not much clearance. I had to remove some paint thickness on the re-sprayed hood to get it to fit properly.
Yes it is steel, and mine was as rusty as as all get out, The same steel as the grill. SS would have been much better but I guess Packard felt Nickel Plate was the top banana and what manufacturer worries about their product 85 years in the future!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/22 19:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved