Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 227

BigKev, Don B, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic transmission adaptor plates
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Crowhurst
See User information
Hi I am based in UK and own a 55 clipper I am having problems getting my transmission repaired and I heard that adapter kits for different transmission are Available. Does any body. Know anything or has any body done an adaptor kit installation

Posted on: 2023/8/12 17:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic transmission adaptor plates
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bendtsen's Speed Gem adapters. You will need to supply your own GM transmission and fabricate the rear crossmember for most of the trans that can be used. You will also need to figure out where and how to best attach the throttle cable instead of the throttle linkage.

There are several who have installed this transmission using their adaptor. Do a search of the forum for Bendtsen GM transmission and several threads including a few with photos and detailed experiences will be found. Stewart has a few photos in his blog showing some of his work on the throttle linkage and there are others with a different approach.

Kenbwisc has a rather detailed step by step post of his installation but unfortunately his photos did not post. Several others do have photos of their work.

Posted on: 2023/8/12 17:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic transmission adaptor plates
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Chris, you can also post about the problems with your transmission. These have some quirks and it's probably impossible to find actually qualified people to work on these in the UK. Does your mechanic have a copy of the service manual to reference, at least?

I say this, not just for purposes of originality, but also because the transmission swap is a few thousand £.

Posted on: 2023/8/13 12:09
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved