Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1954 Packard / rear back up switch / smoke/ burning plastic smell
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
The switch was only 1 yr old and must have gone bad or not compatible with 6V POS?

A mechanical switch doesn’t care about polarity or voltage as long as it’s rated sufficiently to carry the load (amps) of the lights.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
54packpac

One more observation. When I had the instrument cluster out of my ’54 I noted a piece of body sheet metal just behind the cluster. I would suspect this sheet metal is to increase the body stiffness just below the windshield. That aside, the edge of the metal was quite sharp, and in my estimation would cut wiring insulation quite handedly. I tried my best at rounding the sharp edge and ultimately put a double layer of gorilla tape along the edge. I was actually in the process of changing all of the instrument bulbs and without my knowledge the right turn signal indicator made contact with this stiffener. Trouble-shooting of ‘how did changing the bulbs break the turn signals?’ led to the ‘sharpness’ observation. The turn signal bulb socket wire connection requires a bend to avoid the brace and I had inadvertently straightened the bulb connection . . . duh! From that experience I’ve concluded there’s not a lot of room behind the instrument cluster for wiring.

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/2 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi DP. The 42 D black was incorrectly connected to the BAT post. Howard mentioned same note from the service counselor. The wire was cooked. Lucky this time.....I'm curious how many other peeps might have had same issue in the past...

Posted on: 2023/10/3 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
54packpac

The ’54 wiring diagram from Howard that is currently on this site is the one I referenced earlier. It has the Service Counselor text imbedded. IMO that’s far more preferable than an incorrect diagram and a separate SC.

I looked at the diagram and found the following items connected to the BATT post of the 30A breaker:

21R Power feed spliced to 1-R
Front cigar lighter
Clock w/3A fuse
Body Feed later identified by the SC
> Rear cigar lighter
> Courtesy lamps
> Trunk lamp if so equipped

The diagram for the 5462-65-67 models (Clipper Super) appears to have the Body Feed circuit on the ‘load’ side of the 30A CB.

For the 10A CB; circuit 42D (power to the reverse lamp switch) appears to be un-protected.

From this I’ve concluded the SC does not apply to circuit 42D.

WRT your comment “how many other peeps might . . . “, I suspect you’re not the only one that has an ‘as built’ wire connection scheme. I’ve put removal of the instrument cluster on my ‘to do’ list. The next question is whether circuit 42D should be protected (I lean to Yes), and whether the SC guidance be taken (I lean to Yes). Since the diagram for the Clipper Supers is correct, I’m wondering whether the Body Feed issue is a documentation only issue with all vehicles wired correctly at the 30A CB, or some non-Clipper Supers were assembled in a configuration that later was found to be incorrect.

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/3 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you DP.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_5482.jpeg (135.60 KB)
201206_653005af971fa.jpeg 791X1143 px

Posted on: 2023/10/18 11:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved