Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Patrician Blower Motor Brush holder
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JuanS
See User information
Hello guys. I need help. I was replacing the wiring on the fan blower motor for the air when the brush holders snapped. I will attach a picture. Does anyone know where I can find replacements or how to make new ones? Maybe even where to find a replacement 6 volt motor. All help and replies are appreciated.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4290.jpeg (201.51 KB)
225042_64ebc8adb7d35.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/8/27 17:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Patrician Blower Motor Brush holder
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Try Gerry at Packards Southwest. His info is in the Directory (on the menu on your left).

Posted on: 2023/8/27 17:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doubt you will find just the brush holders so unless someone happens to have a motor laying around that is damaged or otherwise not easily repaired for some other reason you will need to get a complete motor if you want to stay Packard original. Gerry at PackardsSouthwest might have one but if not, our other vendors or those with parts cars or cars converted to 12v should be able to come up with one.

If you are not a purist and do not mind modern many vendors sell a universal 1/4" diameter shaft heater motor that in most cases bolts right in. It is a permanent magnet motor so is reversible by changing polarity. You need to make sure of the proper rotation when you wire it in the car and unlike a stock car, it will be an item affected if the battery polarity is accidentally reversed.

Here is one vendor that carries them but there are many others. While not needed on a heater blower wheel, some like this motor come with the adapter needed for the 5/16 bore wheels used in many AC units.https://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-Heater-Motor-6-Volt/productinfo/68-005/#prettyPhoto[gallery]%20nofollow/0/

Posted on: 2023/8/27 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you can make a 3D model of them, you can 3D print such things from stainless steel for pretty cheap.

I'm not familiar with how exactly these are used in the motor; stainless steel is probably not as conductive and stiffer than the originals.

Posted on: 2023/8/27 20:45
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall the brush holders need to be isolated from the frame and case and are made of an insulating phenolic sheet material. Don't think stainless is an option.

Used motors should be available to avoid a DIY approach but if you did want to try making your own, while it would be somewhat tedious it could probably be done with the old as a pattern and using a Dremel and coping saw to cut some phenolic sheet of the proper thickness. McMaster sells the sheet material in small sizes and thicknesses.

Brushes do get somewhat hot when carrying current so I don't know if a 3D printed piece made out of something insulating could take the temperature without deforming.

Posted on: 2023/8/27 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
You might also call up Buchannan Auto Electric in Oakland, info is in the Directory under "Packard Services"

Posted on: 2023/8/28 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Howard, to me they looked like metal in the photo.

If they have some thickness there's some high temp plastics you could use to 3d print. Or just cut new ones from stock from a template is probably what I would do.

Posted on: 2023/8/28 12:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I have complete blower motors in stock. could also round you up a couple of the holders. 520-336-0057 Tucson Packard

Posted on: 2023/8/28 13:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved