Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hand Brake Warning Signal
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is a new one for me. Looking at the install diagram, it looks like it whistles or something when the handbrake is on, and the motor is running.

I can see that being annoying pretty quickly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115848856680

Posted on: 2023/8/29 10:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Hand Brake Warning Signal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The install instructions on the box say a soft whistle when handle is pulled so maybe not too terrible . Must have been only a prewar offering because it doesn't show on the master accessory price list published in 47 even though Clippers (and 22-23s) used a very similar hand brake handle.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps it wasn't popular and quickly discontinued.

Someone could have rigged up an idiot light as an option, if indeed knowing the brake was on was a big issue.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 11:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My Dad told me to always apply the parking brake so &^$!! ^%$ tight that no one could possibly move the car without releasing it.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think with manual trans, not engaging the hand brake has serious consequence when parked on a grade, hill, slope, etc. Some sort of "alarm" that it's "on" would be of use. Just watch any 3 stooges short and it'll be clear.
Once, I was parked at a gas station @ 4 AM waiting for tourney partner to arrive. I had my manual trans P/U truck and boat. I had my E-brake on, but apparently not fully and motor off and I was went in the boat arranging/setting up. Would U believe while I was in the boat for a few minutes someone pulled in and parked in front of and in line to me and opened their hatch. The truck started to roll on its own for no reason. I guess it was the gravitational attraction between the two vehicles? I yelled and the other guy got out the way but before I could jump down and jump in cab to hit the brakes, my rig rolled into the other vehicle. I always leave my door open now when I'm out of the truck for fast entry and more judiciously pick my parking spots. A few years ago there was a video of a luxury motorhome and guy launching his boat. While he's in the boat, the motorhome rolls into the lake. Dog was inside and suspect. Sometimes the deck is stacked against by mysterious forces.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 12:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Perhaps it wasn't popular and quickly discontinued.

Someone could have rigged up an idiot light as an option, if indeed knowing the brake was on was a big issue.

For the 51 on style handle they did have the idiot light. Not sure when the postwar emergency brake warning option was officially offered again but do remember seeing cars with a small bracket under the dash edge near the handle with a red light in the middle. 56 went a step farther if the car had PB shift and used the empty quadrant space to house a large red piece of plastic that illuminated BRAKE if the handle was not pushed all the way back.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved