Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 234

Phat Jonny, BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lifting points?
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hey, can anyone tell me the best way to lift a 1948 327 with a cherry picker? I would rather not have to take off any head nuts

Posted on: 2023/8/31 19:47

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Lifting points?
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Coil the spark plug holes support all the weight? I wouldn’t imagine that they would?

Posted on: 2023/8/31 20:04

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I wouldn't risk using the plug holes. You're talking nearly a 1000lbs of weight.

Posted on: 2023/8/31 20:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used Harbor Freight tow or recovery straps along with a load leveler on mine. Leveler was probably not necessary but used it anyway. Draped the straps so the cherry picker was as close to the engine as possible while still being able to loop and catch the engine at both the vibration damper and bellhousing areas. Straps I used were not quite long enough to go twice around so a single loop and tied off sufficed. You want to take advantage of any creases or protruding bolt heads you can find to hold the strap so it does not try to slide. If you are pulling the trans at the same time then you may want to move the strap and cherry picker more toward the rear and catch the rear strap somewhere in the trans area since the engine will be seriously off balance with the trans weight in the rear.

Posted on: 2023/8/31 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I lifted the last two that I loaded by wrapping a .375" chain around the engine and guesstimating the center of mass. I did use protrusions. It worked okay, but we were lifting from long-term storage and loading onto a trailer, so there were no obstacles or transmissions involved.

I would say based on my experience, for maximum control, bite the bullet and remove two head nuts and fasten the chain there and be done with it.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 4:55
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
A little backstory; in the past I have just used the head studs and it worked great, I already pulled the engine and rebuilt it, now I’m looking at reinstallation. The reason I don’t want to remove the head studs is they have all been torqued down already and when the engine got painted they got painted over as well. If I remove it I will feel like I have to clean all the paint off of everything to get accurate torque readings.

Also the transmission will be attached when I go to reinstall.
I was looking at it and was thinking I might use straps to help protect the paint and run them from the thermostat housing area to one of the starter bolts and another place on the bell housing, would this work if I can get it to balance right?

Posted on: 2023/9/1 9:05

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Or would it just be better to cradle the engine with a couple strap’s running underneath at the balancer and the end of the oil pan?

Posted on: 2023/9/1 9:08

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you already run the engine and retorque after running? If not, you'll probably have to. So paint touch-up will probably be needed anyway.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 9:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
No I have not yet done that… I suppose your right I hadn’t considered that as a factor yet.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 0:12

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would not even considering doing it any other way than the head bolts.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 18:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved