Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Takes a Village
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
This is more directed to the members new to our hobby. In my case I got a car that needed a total rebuild, however, even one you drive home from the sale will need to be maintained and repaired throughout your ownership. It is not 'Restored", it is very much 'Restoring". I have attached a list of all those firms I have dealt with on my project, and will continue to need, as I drive this car throughout my time of ownership. Note that you can usually find a great number of firms to help near at hand as evidenced by the large number of companies in my Cambridge Ontario Canada area. You too will likely have similar places close to you that may not even know they are able to help, but if you go in with samples and background of your needs they will see that they too can get you what you need, or send you on to those they know in the business that can get'er done!
This is not necessarily a guide as to who to contact, by all means do if you want, but more a guide as to where to look in your area for help with similar firms. Some like Kanter, Max Merritt etc. are staples, others you may not have thought of, it is also to show that I have dealt with over 50 different establishments to complete my car to this stage and ALL have been excited and helpful to get me what I needed. It adds a huge facet to a very enjoyable hobby. If you do a list for your project like this too, it also lets you go back and let the vendors see your finished project. They might even put its picture up on their wall, everybody loves old cars!
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf Part Supplier and Services List.pdf Size: 21.51 KB; Hits: 201

Posted on: 2023/9/5 9:51
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Re: Takes a Village
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is great Bob, especially for folks in Canada as shipping from the US can add a lot of expense to parts.

Jim Hill maintained a very detailed list for many years, but is no longer due to health/age reasons.

I have a copy of one of his last lists produced. But I'm not sure how accurate it still is as the pandemic devastated a lot of smaller companies and suppliers/manufacturers that supplied them.

Folks like John Ulrich have already stated that they are winding down and no longer producing additional stock as his suppliers now want large minimum runs, which are not feasible. He said the catalog he has out will be his last, and a lot of stuff in the catalog is already sold out.

The same has happened with Bill Hirsch's company, as they are no longer reproducing any of the Packard hubcaps.

Posted on: 2023/9/5 10:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Kev, do you know if Jim is ok with publishing his list, since he no longer is?

I think with a bit of team effort we could research or contact the various suppliers to check for changes. With a list of volunteers we could just assign a block of the alphabet to each person. That way no vendor would be pestered more than once. In due time we would have an authoritative and accurate list.

Just an idea

Posted on: 2023/9/5 12:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If someone who knows Jim wants to contact him and get permission to use it and maintain it, then I'm sure we could do that.

Posted on: 2023/9/5 12:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't know him but I could see if I could get in touch sometime.

Posted on: 2023/9/5 19:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved