Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'32 901 Sedan Oil Leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The engine has developed an oil leak. The source of which is around the large plate at the bottom of the engine (See photo). I'm guessing this is connected with the engine's oil pump. I want to replace the gasket to see if the cures the leak. When I remove the plate what are the perils that will befall me (e.g. oil pump falls out OR ???)

Attach file:

jpg  Leak.JPG (38.96 KB)
1063_64fa26c619b0c.jpg 614X505 px

Posted on: 2023/9/7 14:38
 Top  Print   

Re: '32 901 Sedan Oil Leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No perils should befall you. The plate simply provides access to the pump's intake filter screen. Just remove the plate, clean the screen and any debris from the plate, and replace using a new gasket.

Posted on: 2023/9/7 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That's for cleaning debris from the engine periodically. It's not unusual to find bits of carbon, gasket material, or even some metal particles there. If the engine sounds good, and unless there is a lot of metal, I'd just clean everything up and re-install with a new gasket.

Posted on: 2023/9/7 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
It's been a while since I removed the cover, but I think the threaded holes for the steel cover studs go thru the pan casting. Some sealer on the stud threads would help take care of a small leak coming thru the threads.

Also, with the oil drained, a nickle plated NeFeB magnet placed in the pan plug does a good job of collecting fine magnetic particles. I found a size that fits right into the existing plug. Did the same for the transmission and differential plugs. Works great.

Posted on: 2023/9/18 14:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved