Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Battery cables - opinions wanted
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Ken,
Keep in mind that in this case the current flow out of the battery, to and thru the starter and ignition, etc. is determined by the smallest cable attached to the battery which is '0' gauge.

John

Posted on: 2023/9/8 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
As it's safety related, I don't know if I read this incorrect or wasn't stated, but the positive cable to ground (6VDC + grd) should be insulated not bare braid?
You don't want the possibility of arcing with spurious contact. The batt shut off goes on the negative side to prevent arcing, typically, so maybe what was referenced.
The length of the cable run is req'd to know the in service effect of wire size - regardless of personal experience... Braided cable is typically more expensive with size than twisted.
The length of cable will affect the size as the voltage drop/ft will determine how much it loses/heats. Gauge is one of those round up, not down, rules. I had to go through this calc for an auxiliary feed on the tractor and caused the next higher ga. 2% drop is heuristic. If it's a short cable not much difference between the two spoken, twenty % on a long cable might be an issue, as in a trunk mount, etc. Conversely, in a short run, the cost difference between a 00, and o is negligible. Cost of terminals and manufacture similar. Wire pricing varies with insulation class, availability, etc. too.
I prefer/chose 00 for 6 VDC cables. Takes out any ampacity issues. These cars are limited by voltage so supplying proper amps for power is critical to performance.
I know I researched this for the P, the info was in the parts list or manual. So if not adding length with the shutoff, should be the same as factory. The issue today is it's a twelve volt world and 6 VDC not given proper respect.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 11:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On a stock 6v positive ground system. There should be 1/0 round insulated cable running between the starter solenoid and the negative on the battery.

A braided ground strap between the positive on the battery and the frame. And another braided ground strap between the transmission case and the frame.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 12:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

John Sauser wrote:
Ken,
Keep in mind that in this case the current flow out of the battery, to and thru the starter and ignition, etc. is determined by the smallest cable attached to the battery which is '0' gauge.

John

Not really. The current flow is determined by the total impedance; having one cable be smaller increases the total impedance of the circuit but not as much as both being smaller.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 17:50
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Ok so if i replace my negative cable from the battery post to the starter solenoid, what is the right size, or what size is oem??🧐 it is about 17” long, old and covered in electrical tape.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4645.jpeg (339.19 KB)
226376_64fbdd60a624e.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/9/8 21:50
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need 1/0 gauge cable or thicker. Do not use thin 12v cables. 6v systems use thicker cables. Half the voltage, twice the amperage.

I'd also replace the braided ground cable as well. If one is decrepited, usually so is the other one.

Posted on: 2023/9/9 7:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved