Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Wiperless!!!😮
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hello, now that the shift linkages are performing nicely, need help with the vacuum operated wipers. Can’t get mine to do anything!! Turned the little wheel on the steering column, but nothing happens. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4561.jpeg (109.97 KB)
226376_64fb54060a282.jpeg 906X880 px

Posted on: 2023/9/8 12:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiperless!!!😮
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Assuming the vacuum line is connected to wiper motor, then the usually case is that the wiper motor seals are toast and you need to send it to Ficken Wiper Service for a rebuild. They are the only ones with the parts. Wiperman.com

Posted on: 2023/9/8 12:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Kev said, if there is good vacuum supply a rebuild is probably needed. On the off chance something is broken or not hooked up make sure the end of the cable is moving the slide valve on top of the wiper motor.

Looking at the motor from the front, as you turn the wiper on the valve should slide toward the passenger side. Turning back to off the valve should go toward the driver side and if you continue turning the knob a small amount against a slight spring pressure, the valve moves a bit more to the drivers side to connect a port on the end of the motor to vacuum. That port is for controlling the optional windshield washer.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Check all the vacuum connections and check the vacuum booster. Sometimes a little light oil will get a vacuum motor working, if you can get to it. Apply oil through vacuum connection. If no external problems are found, a rebuild is in order. I had one vehicle that had very stiff wiper arm pivots. ('81 Dodge)
Oiling them made a big difference.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 13:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Thanks, i just blew a fuse i think on a drive when the car cut off, went dead, gages not powered up, starter not turning, dissapointing to say the least.🤨

Posted on: 2023/9/8 19:25
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Me and a friend were driving around a rural area back in 1969. We came across a gentleman in a nice '63 Buick sitting alongside the road, hood up. It seems he'd stopped under a shade tree to eat a sack lunch, and when he was ready to go, the car was totally dead.

Everything looked fine under the hood, but we eventually determined that the positive battery cable had no continuity between the cable terminal and the cable, though it looked as-new.

It turned out that he was a jobber for gas station sundries, and his trunk was loaded with battery cables, oil additives, belts, radiator caps, etc. We put on one of his own new cables and off he went.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 20:55
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Yes thats my plan this afternoon, two new cables, who woulda thunk it…. Also found a disconnected vacuum line to my wiper motor. Does anybody have a good idea for an element to replace the oil bath filter, mine’s decrepit and am afraid as it crumbles it’ll get ingested into the engine.
Ok, enough of this, time to get back to work🤣.
Thanks again guys!!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4679.jpeg (19.72 KB)
226376_64fc5aa966cf3.jpeg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2023/9/9 6:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Rainx seem to work good if your by chance get find a storm

Posted on: 2023/9/9 12:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Got the wipers replaced, found the vacuum line that was loose, now they move but need to shoot some lube into the vacuum connection. They move but not much……..YET! 🤣. You see the wiper motor and the vacuum line going in on the passenger side, there is also another port on the drivers side but I can’t find a vacuum line for it.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4704.jpeg (265.11 KB)
226376_64fd1180b8b0f.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/9 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The empty port on the drivers side is used for the optional windshield washer. When the knob is turned slightly counterclockwise and held against a spring the slide valve connects the drivers side port to the vacuum in port on the passenger side. The vacuum is then passed to the washer pump which readies a charge of washer solvent. The solvent will be squirted on the windshield as soon as you release the knob and then turn it clockwise to start the wipers.

Attach file:

jpg  ws washer.jpg (105.01 KB)
209_64fd21d7cde6c.jpg 1240X1098 px

Posted on: 2023/9/9 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved