Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 191

BigKev, Packard Don, Ross, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Packard Levelizer - how long to level out?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
Hello all. Apologize if it's already posted here - searched but could not find -

New owner of a 56 Packard Caribbean - was sitting in the trunk tinkering with the antennas - the rear end when up! That's good - had heard about the leveling system and now have experienced. How long should it take for the car to lower back down once the weight (i.e., me) is removed from the trunk?

Posted on: 2023/9/10 12:05
1956 Packard Caribbean Hard Top
1962 Imperial Crown Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Packard Levelizer - how long to level out?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Specs say around 7 seconds for either direction.

If it still has the original control switch the time delay is done by a bimetal strip that is heated and takes about 7 seconds to bend far enough to make a contact and bring in a relay. Old switches can develop dirty or oxidized contacts from just sitting in an unused car or even in a brand new unit sitting in a box on the shelf. Either dirty contacts or burned out heaters can cause issues such as longer or inconsistent times or even a complete failure to bring in a relay to move the car in one or both directions.

In addition to issues with the control switch, a stuck 55 style limit switch or a broken wire going to one of the 56 style limit switches can also cause it to fail to move in one direction. 56 limit switches are somewhat prone to the broken wire issue due to vibration if the loom is pulled too tight or is unsupported when the long length of wiring going to the limit switch is bundled up. This is particularly troublesome in the switch nearest the driveshaft.

The control switch failure or erratic time issue can be solved by a reworked modern equivalent switch where the bimetal section has been removed and an electronic solid state time delay circuit or individual time delay relays are added. Those units have very consistent timing but depending on the switch and how it was converted, can be polarity specific.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 12:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
THanks - i checked - it's been about an hour - still elevated. Any idea on how i can bring it back down to level?

When you say switch - do you mean the switch under the dash or someplace else? I think i could figure out how to replace the under dash switch.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 56 control switch and limit switches are under the car but fuses and solenoids that control the motor are in the space between the drivers side cowl and inner fender. There are some good photos of the mounted 56 components along with a very good treatise by John Lauter (Mr. Pushbutton) on how the system operates starting here at post 235 and continuing on the next few pages of the blog.

It is somewhat risky to move anything without the limit switches being in the circuit but to manually move the car with the limit switch in the circuit involves going under the car and grounding terminals inside the weathertight enclosure of the control box. In an emergency you can move the car at the solenoids but that bypasses the limit switches so be very careful and just barely connect a jumper long enough to verify direction.

Assuming everything is wired and was working correctly use a jumper wire, one end connected to ground and touch the other end to the small terminal with blue wire on the top of the solenoid. That SHOULD cause the rear of the car to go down. It the rear wants to raise more or nothing seems to happen IMMEDIATELY break the connection and try the terminal with orange wire on the other solenoid. Only leave it connected long enough to level and then stop and start troubleshooting what has happened to prevent automatic operation.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
crisis averted - after a few loving words and well, some pleading, she leveled herself off. I promised not to push that button (switch) again....

Thank you!

Posted on: 2023/9/10 13:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
By chance does your car have the optional manual up/down switch. That would be a round knob mounted next to the TL on/off switch. If so and the switch is stock, it is not spring loaded so stays at the up or down position. Pushing the switch knob up bypasses the control switch and forces the car to go up until the limit switch stops it. Pulling the switch knob down does the same thing in lowering the car. If going either direction the car will stay at maximum travel until the knob is returned to center and the automatic leveling can take over.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
only see the switch but will look closely with a flashlight.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The manual switch would be hard to miss if your car has it. It’s like one of the dash knobs but mounting facing down under the dash.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 13:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
To my surprise I've learned that I have power door locks! I sure appreciate your responses. Many thanks.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_7631.jpeg (244.29 KB)
226342_64fe313b87f46.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/10 16:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
To my surprise I've learned that I have power door locks! I sure appreciate your responses. Many thanks.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 16:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved