Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake light sensitivity 56 Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
Morning - I have to really press down hard on the brake before the tail lights come on. Is there a way perhaps to adjust the pedal or sensitivity so that they come one as soon as I touch the pedal.

As I'm sure you all experience - people love to come right upon my bumper when I'm driving to see the car - when i touch the brake to decelerate - the lights don't engage so they don't know i'm slowing/stopping.... no bueno.

Appreciate any input.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 9:24
1956 Packard Caribbean Hard Top
1962 Imperial Crown Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake light sensitivity 56 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 55-6 hydraulic brake switches are a well known failure item and is probably the culprit. About the only solution is to change the switch which on a 55-6 is located on top of frame rail below the air vent tube and roughly under the battery.

The NOS 3 prong switches used in torsion level cars are in short supply and expensive so a conversion using a 2 terminal easily found switch and a relay is the suggested replacement. You may already have this conversion but if not, full conversion kits are available from a couple of vendors or you can make your own. You can also convert to a mechanical switch operated directly by the brake pedal arm. Kits are also available for that conversion or again, you can make your own.

Once you find out what you have or decide on what you want to do additional information on the various options can be posted.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Kiff Rule
See User information
As always - very grateful. Many thanks.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 10:01
1956 Packard Caribbean Hard Top
1962 Imperial Crown Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had the same problem with my 55 Clipper (coil and leaf spring suspension). Changing the brake light switch fixed the problem. Some switches do not play well with silicone (DOT5) fluid.

Posted on: 2023/9/11 12:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved