Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series radiator
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hello, I am in need of a new radiator for my 1948 Super eight sedan. I found one that someone makes new bit they say it is for the station wagon, not necessarily the sedan.
[url=https://cgj.com/product/pk-7006-1948-packard-super-8-wagon-radiator]
My question is would this work in my car or is the radiator for the station wagon and sedan different?

Posted on: 2023/9/18 15:44

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd series radiator
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Also I had a shop quote me $950 to recore the radiator I currently have.
I would like people’s opinions on if it might be better to just go that route instead?

Posted on: 2023/9/18 15:47

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the radiators will physically interchange in all models but there is a difference in core thickness or rows of tubes so capacity changes due to engine size.

Believe the station sedan or wagon has a 288 engine while your deluxe sedan has the 327. Specs given in the Oct 15, 47 Service Counselor say the cooling capacity for 288 models is 4 1/2 gallons while it is 5 gallons for the 327 and 356.

Since the 22-23 series models are not known for having excess capacity in their cooling systems putting a smaller radiator on a larger engine is asking for trouble. The outfit that makes the new aluminum radiator does seem to offer an optional larger core but without more info hard to say if that would suffice..

Posted on: 2023/9/18 16:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
Came across this YouTube while searching for a radiator for my 49 Standard 8. Depicts a father and son replacing a radiator in the son's Packard with an aluminum one. It's kind of a Frankenstein but works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=b2YVMdf6PZY&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&source_ve_path=MzY4NDIsMjM4NTE&feature=emb_title

Aluminum Radiator fits 1940-1941 Chevy Chevrolet Car Street ROD Auto 3.5L AT MT, I purchased this radiator from "Work" for my car today off Ebay

Attach file:

jpg  s-l64.jpg (1.48 KB)
226248_6508c68b69afd.jpg 59X64 px

Posted on: 2023/9/18 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it's a radiator good shop, no reasons not to recore the old one, if the pans/tanks are good. They'll probably use a modern core, which will be different but more effective.
If its leaking in the core, then they're probably OK. Tank leaking then need to find replacement to recore.
I think I paid $600 to do the last radiator core pre-covid, but pricing is crazy post covid. I had heater cores done and I posted that pricing recently, up ~15%.
There's plenty of ways to get extra volume capacity, so I doubt that has much impact to the cooling as much as the radiator area and fan design. Aluminum is OK, but needs the right anticorrosion additives on a iron engine.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 16:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved