Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Oiling issues and hole in air filter lid.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does your breather cap still have the mesh in it?

Posted on: 2023/9/22 18:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I'd reduce the orifice to 1/16 inch and try it again. The new size should flow 64% of what you have with the 5/64 orifice.

Posted on: 2023/9/22 18:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was the return port added in the fill tube at the top or bottom? Even unrestricted it seems odd the flow is so great that much oil could be forced up a rather large tube to the point of being forced out the cap.

Unless there is a significant amount of blowby and something like a clogged road draft tube is forcing it to all go the fill tube direction rather than thru the draft tube and air is what is carrying the oil upward or if the fill tube is restricted by more than the normal baffle at the bottom any oil leaking out is hard to understand.

If the return port is at the top and oil is squirting out the port and splashing on the side of the tube hard enough to splatter I suppose that could be an issue and maybe a baffle at the port to direct the oil downward would help. As was done with the final 356 engine arrangement, another option might be to drill and add a port in the block to dump the filter return oil directly into the crankcase.

Posted on: 2023/9/22 19:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
OK. After double checking, the screen is still intact in the cap. I will get some good pictures today. I do not think it is the quantity of oil entering the tube, it is the pressure and angle. It. One straight thru the side hitting the other side of the tube and splashing all over itself. If that makes sense.
Here is a screen shot from a video. You can see all the splashing.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230923_074428_Gallery.jpg (89.38 KB)
226365_650ecfe46d336.jpg 1080X1664 px

Posted on: 2023/9/23 6:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved