Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 186

Don B, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiper knobs?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
Not sure what to call these or what exactly they do. I don't see a washer reservoir or anything that would activate a pump.

Attach file:

jpg  20230928_171336.jpg (89.22 KB)
226433_6516239097203.jpg 897X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/28 20:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper knobs?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those are the washer jets and usually not present unless the option was installed. Perhaps it was removed at some point. Installation instructions for the washer start on page 6 of the accessories section of 51-54 service manual. That will give you an idea of the layout.

You may be able to find a washer pump and jar on ebay as the same unit was used by many other mfgs. Some come with the bracket but you may need to find that separately. Search for Trico or Windshield washer. 48-50 pumps are quite different in looks so not applicable. 51-3 used essentially the same unit so search for those years. 54 went to electric activation with coordinated wiper motor operation so operates and looks different. 6v units may be harder to find and it also needs a different wiper on/off switch.

In 53 the washer jar and pump would be mounted on the left inner fender. 48-53 washers are operated by turning the regular wiper on/off knob backwards a small amount and hold it against a spring for a few seconds. That action opens a hose port on the drivers side of the motor to vacuum. A hose connects the port to the pump and vacuum pulls a large piston in the pump mechanism upwards against a spring. A small piston on the other end pulls water into another chamber of the pump at the same time.

Letting go of the knob cuts off the vacuum and opens the port to air letting the pump spring drive the piston down. Continued turning of the wiper knob in the normal direction starts the wiper motor and wiper blades clean windshield as the water discharges thru the jets. When water stops flowing let the blades move two or three more times then turn the motor off.

Posted on: 2023/9/28 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper knobs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have plenty jars and a few brackets but only one top cover with pump which is NOS although it the basic type. If you can’t find anything sooner, let me know and I’ll see what I have when I’m next at my shop. I believe that the jars and maybe the brackets are listed in the Classified Ads on my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below.

Posted on: 2023/9/29 14:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved