Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 221

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

optima battery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
I had an Optima go bad in less than a year. I returned it to Advance Auto. They refunded my money and said they could no longer get them. On line I discovered several said Optima has ceased producing red top 6 volts. Is that true? I see several sources still offering them but fear they might be old stock. Advance said the only one they had was made in 2017.

Posted on: 2023/10/3 8:57
 Top  Print   

Re: optima battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Their website indicates that they still make the 6v red top.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/redtop/

Amazon says they can have one at my house day after tomorrow.

$249 and change.

Maybe the issue is Advance Auto.

Posted on: 2023/10/3 9:31
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I purchased one yesterday in Fountain Hills,Arizona at O'Reiley's Auto Parts. $249 plus tax and it was in stock. I replaced one in our 1949 Deluxe that was installed in 2012. It seems to me that all battery companies produce a dud now and again! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/10/3 9:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I actually went to one of the plants where they make the lead plates for batteries, to fix some of their equipment once. It's owned by the company that makes Optima batteries so probably they were making Optima lead there too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JhSQcbWuCivwVVAQ6

Posted on: 2023/10/3 10:07
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
And I just bought one from Amazon for the same price as the national chain item Ernie talked about. I’ve concluded that if there ever was a shortage it’s over now.

Most of the Optima batteries I’ve bought in the last 10 years or so have been made/assembled in Mexico. Because of 6 infant failures (case cracking in < 1.5 years), same car, same battery group, I had the opportunity to talk with the Johnson Controls engineers in Milwaukee. In one case a replacement battery was immediately returned because of an improper final machining operation. Milwaukee seemed to be quite exasperated with their plant in Mexico. In that case I concluded the batteries did not do well because of the thermal environment . . . most every day the car was parked hot with the battery side of the car facing west.

My question is whether there’s a cover for an Optima 6V to mimic the look of the battery found in the 22nd & 23rd series cars? If that answer is ‘No’ then can 3D printed parts be successfully ‘glued together’, and retain sufficient strength to survive the application?

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/3 14:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved