Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Here comes a most probably trivial question related to the last Packards before the war. The talk revolves around this image.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Its caption reads "...Packard 180, super eight, twentieth series, model 2008, 8-cylinder, 165-horsepower, 148-inch wheelbase, 5-person touring sedan (body type #1521), by LeBaron..."

Why it is called "5-person"?

image source: Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2023/10/3 15:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: 1521
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is one of these in a museum in the San Francisco Bay Area but unfortunately it's private and takes an invitation to get inside so I can't go check it out. However, I was there once when a docent of it that I knew got me in during some car club event. Anyway, while I was unable to look inside due to it being roped off, it was also labeled as a 5-passenger so my guess is that it does not have any jump seats or if it does they were not included in the passenger count since they are typically for occasional use. This is, of course, just a guess on my part!

Posted on: 2023/10/3 16:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard's own product literature identifies the style 1521 as a sedan for 5-7 passengers. Thus I'd conclude the caption on the photo is incomplete.

A near-twin, style 1520 LeBaron, is still in the stables of the Norwegian Royal family; see the Packard Club's quarterly magazine third quarter 2022 for several interesting articles on these LWB LeBarons.

Posted on: 2023/10/3 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Don (Packard Don) and Dave (Owen_Dyneto), thank you for your answers.

Quote:
...my guess is that it does not have any jump seats...

Don, I had also toyed with the idea that the folding seats might be missing.
However, this would be unusual in several ways. At least one of the cars (but probably both) actually began its intended service as an embassy vehicle and served at the Soviet Embassy in Washington for a number of years. Photos from 1947 show the Soviet ambassador in an identical car. Especially in embassy vehicles, folding seats are required for numerous occasions (interpreters, security personnel, delegation members, guests, ...). Anyway, thank you for your hypothesis.
Dave (O_D), in order to respond to your post I first need to search for a specific photo.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Packard's own product literature identifies the style 1521 as a sedan for 5-7 passengers. Thus I'd conclude the caption on the photo is incomplete...

Dave (O_D), yes, I had the same impression, but didn't dare question the contemporary caption. Here another 1521 with the "5-person label", even called a "Packard 160":

"Inscribed on photo back; Packard 160, super eight, nineteenth series, model 1908, 8-cylinder, 165-horsepower, 148-inch wheelbase, 5-person touring sedan (body type #1521), by LeBaron, 20th series catalogue rendering."

image source: Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Attach file:

jpg  180.jpg (84.35 KB)
757_65214b3270406.jpg 970X842 px

Posted on: 2023/10/7 6:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
In general, the stated number of seating options does not always seem to correspond to the actual number of seating options. The body type 1521 offers seating for 8 people.

Quote:
"...Packard's own product literature identifies the style 1521 as a sedan for 5-7 passengers..."

I thought to call it a car for 5-7 passengers instead of a car for 8 passengers was done to promote a feeling of opulence in the luxury segment. It is nice to have certain reserves. However, this seems to contradict the official wording.

Attach file:

jpg  seating capacity.jpg (79.57 KB)
757_6521645bae09c.jpg 654X902 px

Posted on: 2023/10/7 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
According to Wikipedia: "Amtorg Trading Corporation, also known as Amtorg ... was the first trade representation of the Soviet Union in the United States...". I found another photo of the two vehicles in a 79-year-old publication by this Soviet trading company. The photo was obviously taken at the same place and time. The building could be located at 1325 Main Street at Riley, Buffalo, NY or what do you think?

Posted on: 2023/10/12 0:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved