Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 238

Bob1949Packard, Aiden, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Garage tires for a '48 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
In the unenviable position of needing to replace a single tire to keep the 2255 mobile in its storage spot. Car has ancient bias plys on it that are just for rolling and holding air, but one of them gave up the ghost finally.

Rather than shell out the rather expensive $250-$350 for a nice DB wide white radial that would sit for who knows how long, thinking it'd be best to replace all (or just the one) with a set of black radials that will fit. Hell, I'd take used tires to put on it if I could. It just makes no sense to spend $$$ on a nice tire that will flatten from sitting too long.

Advice on inexpensive blackwall radials that will fit? Could I get away with replacing the single tire, or do I really need to replace them all to be consistent? Car is not driven. 700-15 seems a hard size to get a regular radial tire in these days without it being a trailer tire - hey maybe I should consider that since it's parked most of the time?

BTW - where's a good place to rent the puller required for popping the wheels off? Unless folks think it's worthwhile to buy one? This is the only car I have with tapered axel ends, so don't anticipate needing it too much.

Posted on: 2023/10/10 13:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Garage tires for a '48 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Walmart has thin stripe whitewall radials for like 100 bucks with free delivery. Guess what's on my car.

If you're just rolling it, it won't matter that it's a radial, but don't drive it like that unless you have another on the same axle.

Posted on: 2023/10/10 14:53
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Also look at the valve stems. I had one rot off and go flat. Rubber is rubber, it don't last. Easy to jack up and replace them with stem tool once it's flat.
I was lucky last time I found a local ma and pa tire place that had one odd new 15" that fit and sold it for $40 mounted, so I gave him 50 for saving me fuel costs.
I usually go to the tire places and asked for used tires. Some will, some won't. The chain ones usually are not allowed/legal claims.
Have to scrounge in the bin/container, but the other P tires came from there. Don't need tread to sit in the garage.
We also have county recycle places here that take in tires, so you can get them there as well but have wait for some and mount yourself or get someone to.
Keep your good tires/rim out of the sun and high temperatures.
I've seen people make wooden "tires" from a sheet of heavy plywood to use to roll around the shop. I still put the skates under tires in case one goes flat.
Another thing is get some Fix-a-flat or similar and keep handy and shoot the goo in there. Get a portable air tank to blow it back up if the can doesn't get it. I keep that on the shelf in case I have to go rescue one from a field or someplace, but not very ambitious anymore. Common problem.

Posted on: 2023/10/10 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks both of you for your responses! I gotta get on it sooner over later.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You might look for some 215/70R15 take offs at a tire dealer, new or used. Another option might be to put a new tube in the flat tire, if it is not blown out.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah definitely put the good quality metal stems in. Like $5 more per wheel... worth it.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 21:28
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
If I'm just rolling something, I don't need/require much. Head over toward the 'hood and find a used tires store. Install whatever fits and holds air. $35 should get it done.

Lots of people drive around on that stuff all the time.

Posted on: 2023/10/14 5:05
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

48customfastback
See User information
I have some 820 15's I took off of my '48 Custom 2 Door. 2 are worn near bald on inside but if on a back tire you would never see.
They look great...I'm in Georgia

Posted on: 2023/10/14 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The 1948-50 tubs, as Consumer Reports, Uncle Tom McCahill and others pointed out, were dangerously under-tired even with jumbo 8.20/15 balloons. But if you can use 7.00/15, the size on 1941-47 Century/Roadmaster, Cadillac Series 62/60S, Chrysler Saratoga/New Yorker, Hudson Commodore Eight, initial and 1942-47 127"wb Packard Clipper, the below is what Diamond Back charges a hefty price for after vulcanizing a not wide enough "wide" white.

Historically incorrect 1946-47 CCCA, AACA, PAC "100-point" cars so shod because we all know that, as with gloss instead of semi-gloss engine accessories, glitz and frail male ego trump historic accuracy.

For what combat vet fathers of the modern war novel Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut dismissed as "flag patriots," be assured Yokohama is a Canadian company, even as the identical spec Bridgestones on my '47 Super are Japanese. Michelin also made this exact sort through the early aughts.

BTW, Packard did not produce tires, batteries, generators, motor oil, grease, brake fluid, so might be good to focus on the rest of the car, not reinvent the wheel, front disc conversions, increased carburetion simply as the patience required to get these fine-threaded automobiles right is lacking in so many erstwhile buffs today.

Note some of the sizes below correct for those with earlier Packards:

RY01 Available SizesPattern No. RY01
inch Size Ply Li/Ss Tube Type Rim Width
16 6.50R16 10 109/107M T / T 4.5 ~ 5.5
6.50R16 12 111/109M T / T 4.5 ~ 5.5
7.00R16 10 113/111M T / T 5.5
7.00R16 12 116/114M T / T 5.5
7.50R16 10 119/117M T / T 5.5 ~ 6.0
7.50R16 12 121/120M T / T 5.5 ~ 6.0
15 7.00R15 10 111/109M T / T 5.5
7.00R15 12 114/112M T / T 5.5
7.50R15 12 12PR T / T 6.0

Approved rim width from JATMA yearbook 2009. T/ T =Tube Type
*The RY01 is not available in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa.

Meanwhile, let's support Yokohama's 7.00/15 bias-sized radials, because if they bow out as did Michelin and Bridgestone, those of us with the above mentioned 1941-47 road cars are relegated to hobby bias plies people in the third world wouldn't accept. And the metric 215/225/235-15 stupid useless vehicle tires many use do not look right.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I guess you really wanted to press the point by posting it three times!

Posted on: 2023/10/21 19:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved