Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 custom back up light
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Trying to get the back up light to work. It has a wire going to the light but no power light. I looked for a wire that wasnt hooked up and didnt find anything. This back up light doesnt appear in the wiring diagram. Where do you guys think I should pull power from to get this working?
The switch is located at the base of the steering column. (It's the only clean thing in the picture)

Attach file:

jpg  pic2.jpg (311.36 KB)
226377_652831e13dc0a.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/10/12 12:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 custom back up light
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Factory has the power coming from the tail light terminal on the headlight switch. That would be the terminal on the switch with a screw rather than bullet terminal receptacles. Powering from the switch means the reverse light will only work when the tail lights are on. If you are one like me that was taught back in the olden days to leave the car parked in reverse gear and hand brake set then you can do that without the light coming on.

I don't remember who posted these templates -- O_D or BDeB maybe ? -- but here is the install instructions for the 48-50 reverse lights.

Attach file:

jpg  48-50 reverse light1.jpg (102.09 KB)
209_65283f3884925.jpg 1056X848 px

jpg  48-50 reverse light2.jpg (98.71 KB)
209_65283f4c5409f.jpg 848X1104 px

Posted on: 2023/10/12 13:49
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
A BIG THANK YOU.
That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Dave

Posted on: 2023/10/12 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Another option would be to connect to the GA (Accessory) terminal on the ignition switch with an inline fuse to protect against short circuit.
The backup light would then operate any tine the ignition is turned on.

Posted on: 2023/10/12 15:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Thanks to HH56’s diagram I found that my ‘Backing Light’ had been installed incorrectly for perhaps 20+ years. What I found was the light had been installed in the ‘body grille’ configuration, while the non-grille manner would be appropriate for my Eight. I bet when the fellows were re-assembling the car circa 2000, the concept of having a chrome bit facing the inside of the trunk was found to be unreasonable. I know I had to force myself to put the ‘shinny’ stuff into the trunk.

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/12 17:40
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Update:
Thanks to HH56's diagram I was able to get it wired up and working. Thanks.
I love the wealth of knowledge that's on this site.

Posted on: 2023/10/16 12:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved