Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

DJP-37-120, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 convertible top motor
Just popping in
Just popping in

AmericanAutosUK
See User information
Hi, first post here. We are currently undergoing a restoration on a 1951 with a 288 engine under the bonnet (hood)

The car in its current state is now running and we have all the electrics and lights working.

We repaired the indicator turn signal switch with some great help found on this very forum.

We are struggling with the convertible top pump/motor. When engaging the switch you can just hear a clicking sound from the hood area.

Does anyone have any ideas on this part or anywhere to source a reconditioned one for us to fit? Thanks for your time.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 4:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 convertible top motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Try HydroELectric Punta Gordo, FL.
A great supplier of hydraulic components for the classic car hobby for several decades.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 7:57
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
My shop manual, '49, has a specific section on the convs. Would help to seek a copy out for your year. I think they're on here over in the archive?
Quick peek at the electrical diagram wouldn't hurt either. Clicking usually is a relay issue, but pure guess from here. I'd disconnect and jumper out the pump and see if it turns/works. One pole up, one down, is typical. Then work up stream.
There's only a few other conv top places, easy search. I doubt you'll find a P pump or parts without knowing who made it/model number. Not easy in P speak parts lists. Most likely best to just replace with something new and equal, if toast.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The same pump operates the top, windows and seat and wiring diagram along with basic operation information is in the 51-4 service manual. Diagrams are also in the wiring diagram section of the literature archive here on site. The diagrams are for the full system but if you only have the top and no windows or seat, most of the diagram can be ignored. In that case, all you will be interested in will be the switch on top of the valve and maybe a breaker. In some 51 models, if removing or disconnecting the top valve or switch in a car with windows and seat, if there are multiple wires on the top switch terminals be careful to note and label the electrical hookup as to where each wire is connected to which switch terminal. There is a situation where if one of the wires is placed on the wrong switch terminal an issue could be created. Later models changed the loom to eliminate that issue.

The click you hear may be the solenoid mounted on the side of the motor energizing. Essentially the pump motor works like, and for practical purposes is, a starter motor with the solenoid providing battery voltage directly to the motor when energized. The motor only runs in one direction with the valve operated by the top up/down knob directing fluid to the top or bottom of the cylinders.

In most cases, Hydro-E-Lectric can rebuild the original type valves, switches and pumps. If you have windows along with the top, a rebuild is probably the only option. If you are not a purist and only have the top and no windows then Hydro also can offer a modern style pump that can replace the old unit. It is a completely different type pump assy so you would need to do your own mounting, plumbing and electrical revisions to use it. The modern type pump unit sold is a sealed type system strictly for top operation so does not have a reservoir able to store the returned fluid when all windows are down. It cannot be used if the car has top, windows and seat.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have a pump, motor runs and it needs a new home. Never used it, spare for one of my convertibles which have been sold. $150 plus shipping. Dell

Posted on: 2023/10/21 11:34

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved