Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

dallas, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

56 - 400 - Parting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jules629
See User information
Added this line 10/23. Original post below. I'm definitely parting this out. Let me know what you might be interested in, or photos you'd like. Cheers.

Been reading several of the threads here. Really enjoyed a couple of the builds. Seems a very nice group, with several being very generous with their experience and knowledge.
Long story I'll cut short. I now own the 56 400 in the pics. She's ruff, ruff, ruff. Been sitting for 50+ years outside in the same spot. The cars owner had it for 54+ years. She's too rough for me to tackle. So I'm offering it for sale first. If no takers (which I assume), I plan to use the drivetrain in a hotrod. As well as perhaps hanging the front end or back end on my garage wall. And then part the rest.
I have no idea how to price it, so I'm setting the price on what it takes for someone to want it more than I want to keep it. (I actually have some ancient sentimental history with this car). I need $2700. No title or keys. Located in Kansas City, Mo. Mechanical condition unknown. Starting the process of lubricating/freeing the engine. More pics/info upon request. Cheers.

Posted on: 2023/10/21 21:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 - 400 All or Part
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jules629
See User information
Though I believe this is a 55? Just thought I'd share. If this link doesn't work, look on facebook marketplace for 56 Packard Clipper in Warrensburg, Mo.
Cheers.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1989108218130888/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A630ed8d4-e096-4da2-9963-418799aa94a2

Posted on: 2023/10/21 23:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Clearly a 1955 Packard Clipper!

Posted on: 2023/10/22 2:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jules629 wrote:
Though I believe this is a 55? Just thought I'd share. If this link doesn't work, look on facebook marketplace for 56 Packard Clipper in Warrensburg, Mo.
Cheers.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1989108218130888/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A630ed8d4-e096-4da2-9963-418799aa94a2

55 Clipper Super Panama.

Speaking about the pink one: I know you said you're in KC but did you happen to get the car out of a desert? For sitting outside for 50 years there's very little rust, but the interior looks cooked from the desert heat.

I would ballpark the value around $1200 IMHO. The main value being in the brightwork. Biggest problem of course besides mechanicals is the interior degradation. Interiors are extremely expensive. And no title... (BTW, in Missouri bonded titles are fairly easy to get if you'd want.)

If you want to use this drivetrain in a hotrod, be aware that the automatic transmission is Packard-specific and you will need to find a Packard guy to work on it. Not the end of the world but don't just bring it to a random transmission shop or your cousin who rebuilt two Hydramatics before and expect it to work well. I'm assuming you want an automatic in your rod?

Honestly a decent use for this car would be if you wanted to get the mechanicals going then resto-mod the interior. Redoing the interior properly would cost more than the whole rest of the car, but some cheap alternatives could make it look way sportier.

Anyway, if you're parting it out, let us know. I might want a few pieces.

By the way, what's the VIN? The plate is in front of the driver door jamb when you open the door.

Posted on: 2023/10/22 6:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jules629
See User information
Hybrid,
Thanks for chiming in. No, she spent most if not all of her life in KC. The previous pics don't do the rust justice. The bottom 4 to 6 inches is toast. She was buried well up into frame level. Took a skid steer to get her out.
Interior - Something worse than desert sun... Raccoons. Passenger floor is out, and made for a good, multigenerational coon home.
Not arguing with your value thoughts. I don't expect to get any buyers. Just thought I'd throw it out there for the Purists. Personally, I want to part it. I think it will be fun, and a hotrod with a Packard drivetrain should be a conversation piece.
For the Tranny - Aware, and scared to death of it. I just love the steering column though. Even if I don't use it proper, I plan to use the gear selector to run lights, or something.
Let me know if you can't read all the VIN. Current car position doesn't allow me to open the door fully.
Cheers!

Attach file:

jpg  PackVin.jpg (67.52 KB)
226494_65355084e77d6.jpg 640X853 px

jpg  PackRust.jpg (70.85 KB)
226494_6535509167241.jpg 640X853 px

Posted on: 2023/10/22 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
It seems that most of the 1956 400s were painted MK, like this car (Scottish Heather and Dover White). Most of those cars had a #86 interior (Black Cloth and Red leather). This car has (or had) a #85 interior (Black cloth and White leather).

Posted on: 2023/10/22 14:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 - 400 Parting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jules629
See User information
Thanks EC. Much like house colors, I question who comes up with these names? Scottish Heather?? I see Salmon. My daughters see Pink. Cool color though.

Well, it didn't take me long to decide to Part her out. After a little more noising around, she's just too far gone.

For the record, I didn't really look her over too much after I realized it was the same car I had played in the front seat of at age 7, fifty years ago.

Will post what's for sale, and what I'd like to keep here soon.

Last, what's this in the pic attached? I haven't ran into any mention in the posts I've thus far read. Though I did run into something about a leveling feature?? Thanks, and Cheers.

Attach file:

jpg  PackWhat1.jpg (90.25 KB)
226494_6535cc796eb04.jpg 640X853 px

Posted on: 2023/10/22 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Last, what's this in the pic attached? I haven't ran into any mention in the posts I've thus far read. Though I did run into something about a leveling feature??

Can't see enough detail of that item to guess what it might be but there was nothing stock electrical in that area so there must be some aftermarket accessory added. It looks like it might be a partial chassis or a piece of something larger so someone might have thrown it in and it is just laying there. If actually mounted you might see if you can follow wires to an end point.

Only stock items in the rear seat area would have been a rear seat speaker and possibly the rear window defroster option. Both of those would have been on the package shelf and have a single wire feeding each item. On either side of the rear seat in a 400 would have been an electric window pushbutton and a cigar lighter.

Except for an on/off and maybe an optional manual level control switch mounted under the dash edge all the other level components in a 56 are under the car and on the inner fender cowl space in the engine compt

Posted on: 2023/10/22 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
For the record, I didn't really look her over too much after I realized it was the same car I had played in the front seat of at age 7, fifty years ago.

While you were playing around in it, I already had a quite a large number of Packards of my own!

Posted on: 2023/10/22 20:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jules629
See User information
Don, so technically, you were playing around in yours too!

Posted on: 2023/10/22 20:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved