Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interior Fun
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Pulled seats & carpet and pretty pleased to see that the floor pan is pretty solid. One body mount to repair and both front mounts for the front seat. Projects for the spring, car is going into storage today or tomorrow.

Debating whether to clean and reuse the original carpet, or replace...I'm concerned about the car losing too much of it's character. I suppose I can always replace the carpet later if it need be.

The carpet padding is pretty broke down so that will get replaced.

Does anyone recognize that "clip" I'm holding? Found it when I pulled the interior. Might be something unrelated to the car, fell off somewhere, or is an extra from when the car was originally assembled.

On the front seat, am I correct that the adjuster is out of place? That is, that black rod should be in that slot where I have the arrow like on the other side?

Getting ready to pull the seats apart and figure out how much fabric is needed to recover them and get that ordered from SMS. Going to be pricey, but gotta keep it looking original.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 10:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Interior Fun
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The upholstery is in remarkable shape for its age, but it looks too dry-rotted to stand up to use. The carpet is probably not worth re-installing. I'd deal with the rather minimal rust, and figure on replacing the upholstery and soft trim. Rubber items will probably be fragile, too, but may be use-able with care.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 14:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a look at my project blog on my '54. You'll see my seats are original upholstery in wonderful shape. But I took them apart last year to replace the petrified yellow cushion foam that was disintegrating all over the floor.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 14:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The clip looks quite similar to the clips used to hold in the bottom of the rear window; however, is it distinctly a bit different to the ones I saw when getting a rear window out of a 53.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 14:25
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
The clip looks quite similar to the clips used to hold in the bottom of the rear window; however, is it distinctly a bit different to the ones I saw when getting a rear window out of a 53.

That was my first thought also, but the hole in the middle is huge compared to all the ones I have. But the rest of the shape is right.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/10/31 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
While you have the interior out, consider throwing down some sound deadener before putting the carpet back in. I used Noico, but not sure if that's available anymore. They are all the same. It's a pain in the butt to install but it does make a difference.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  1059_5fb0accd76614.jpg (125.12 KB)
1059_654192b061043.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2023/10/31 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Take a look at my project blog on my '54. You'll see my seats are original upholstery in wonderful shape. But I took them apart last year to replace the petrified yellow cushion foam that was disintegrating all over the floor.

I watched your video!

Posted on: 2023/10/31 23:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

That was my first thought also, but the hole in the middle is huge compared to all the ones I have. But the rest of the shape is right.

-Kevin

I'll look in the doors and see if I can see a clip that looks that same and then see if I can a place where one is missing. I would guess that if it's out of a door it would be my rear passenger door as that window does open and close as freely as the rest and that clip was in that part of the car. A mystery to be solved!

Posted on: 2023/10/31 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
While you have the interior out, consider throwing down some sound deadener before putting the carpet back in. I used Noico, but not sure if that's available anymore. They are all the same. It's a pain in the butt to install but it does make a difference.

-Kevin

That is definitely something I want to do! Noico is still available, along with a host of other brands, but I think Noico and Kilmat are the more common brands.

Why is it a pain to install? Just fussy getting it fitted and worked in? It certainly wouldn't be the first time consuming project I done on my car!

Posted on: 2023/10/31 23:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:

-Kevin

That is definitely something I want to do! Noico is still available, along with a host of other brands, but I think Noico and Kilmat are the more common brands.

Why is it a pain to install? Just fussy getting it fitted and worked in? It certainly wouldn't be the first time consuming project I done on my car!

It's just tedious. Rolling out every square inch of the product is tiresome. But working on the floor is so much easier than working on the roof.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 8:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved