Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 super clipper fog lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Where do the fog lights draw power from?
Body lights? I pretty sure they are a dealer installed item

thks

David

Posted on: 2023/11/6 17:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 super clipper fog lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the dealer followed the stock Packard recommendation fog light power came from one of the aux fuses on the headlight switch.

Attach file:

jpg  Clipper accessory.jpg (125.62 KB)
209_654966a9705e3.jpg 753X895 px

Posted on: 2023/11/6 17:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
thks-that is what I expected

David

Posted on: 2023/11/7 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
do the fog lights operate independently or parking lights need to be on before fog lights will work?
I notice a connection from #3 on headlight switch to fog light switch?

thks

David

Posted on: 2023/11/7 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fog lights are independent and while they get their power from the same battery feed terminal as the headlights they are fused separately.. You can have the park or headlights on at the same time via the headlight switch but fogs can also be operated by themselves.

The #3 terminal on headlight switch is the tail light terminal. When headlights are on it provides power to the lights and the interconnecting wire is so even if headlight switch is off, when the fog light switch is turned on power is fed back from the T terminal of fog light switch to the tail light terminal to ensure tail lights are on when fog lights are on.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 11:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Note your local laws too as some states require the headlights to be on too.

Posted on: 2023/11/7 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
So the fog lights have a separate fuse independent of the body electric fuses?
How do you get the light bulbs out of their socket?-are they held in by the 2 pins on the bulb?-just twist them?
I have several things not working after I checked further-fog lights/passenger side rear tail light/backup light

thks

David

Posted on: 2023/11/10 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They do have a separate fuse so they could be operated by themselves but as Don mentioned, that might have been OK back then but in most states is not OK now. California regs for example specifically states that when driving fog or park lights cannot be used alone and headlights must be on if fog lights are being used.

Power for the fuse going to the fog lights is provided from the same terminal as the rest of the headlight switch. If headlight and park lights work, unless there is a problem with the fuse, holder, or one of the switches the foglights should be powered too.

Cannot answer as to how the bulb comes out so hope someone else chimes in. There may also be a difference in how stock fog lights are done vs the modern repros like Kanter sold.

You will need to trace wiring on the tail light issue. If the license light is OK, could be right side bulb or socket or ground. If license lamp is also out there is a 4 position inline Wade connector near the driver side tail light. That connector joins the body loom to the left light and another short loom at the rear of the trunk floor going across to the right tail light. The 4th hole is used is you have the optional trunk light. One Wade connector issue I have seen is the multi connectors come in two formats that look identical but are different internally. Each is a rectangle with 4 holes but one has all 4 holes connected together and the other has two holes connected together for two separate independent circuits. If the car has turn signals, the independent circuit connector is used for those wires. The connector for tail lights needs the one with all 4 holes connected together.

On the backup light, while the factory shows it powered all the time from one of the head light switch aux fuses, often they were connected so they got power from the #3 tail light terminal. That way they would only work when head or park lights were on. You might check and see how yours is connected and exactly when you have power at the backup light switch. Make sure the switch is working and adjusted so the plunger is fully depressed by the bottom shift lever when reverse is selected. If you have the later 4 terminal backup light switch, make sure backup light wires are on the two terminals at the far end opposite from the plunger.

Posted on: 2023/11/10 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
the fog light fuse mounted to fog light switch?

thks for all this info

David

Posted on: 2023/11/12 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the Unity reproductions that I had on my 1940, the fuse was on the back of the switch. I can't say if that was stock or not and stock is a term to be used loosely as I believe these were always dealer installed so likely many variations occurred.

Posted on: 2023/11/12 12:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved