Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Packards on www.bringatrailer.com
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I suspect someone may have tried to make some plastic wings for it but it is definitely the stock 1951-1952 body and base. The JC Whitney and other aftermarket “swans” had a totally different shape and even from the distance in these photos, the garbage chrome would be obvious.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 2:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
There is a new Packard listing on this site as of today.

1937 115C Business Coupe. Very nice older amateur restoration done in the early 1980's. Looks sharp in solid black and has the correct pinstriping. Only major drawback is that the person who restored the car had the interior done over in red vinyl. Pattern looks correct, but of course, vinyl in a prewar Packard is a big no-no. Obviously, this will impact the value of the car, the question is by how much. An impressive amount of documentation goes with the car. I would like this one a lot more if it were not for the interior. But it does look like a great driver.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1937-packard-115-3-window-coupe/

Posted on: 2023/11/24 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Update: The 1953 Clipper Club Sedan sold for $9,000. The 1941 160 Club Coupe went for $34,000.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
At the price the 37 coupe is going for it is a steal. A new interior can be done within what you'd pay to fix a whole car and you'd have the car you want. Don't let the vinyl scare you.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 15:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Just curious but why is vinyl in a pre war a big no-no? Is it just because it came with something else like cloth or leather and that tanks the value? Or does it somehow cause damage?

Posted on: 2023/11/28 15:39

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Vinyl is just wrong in most cars prior to about 1950. It was widely used in cars from about 1953 onward. Cars of the 50's literally reeked of vinyl. It's a serviceable material and will do no harm in older cars, but it can affect the value if the car is sold. An exception might be a pickup truck of the '30s and 40s. I'd be happy to buy a 30's Packard coupe with a vinyl interior, but I'd want to pay less for it than for a comparable car with the correct type interior. The coupe has a radio, which is a substantial plus.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
There is a new Packard listing on this site as of today.

1937 115C Business Coupe. Very nice older amateur restoration done in the early 1980's. Looks sharp in solid black and has the correct pinstriping. Only major drawback is that the person who restored the car had the interior done over in red vinyl. Pattern looks correct, but of course, vinyl in a prewar Packard is a big no-no. Obviously, this will impact the value of the car, the question is by how much. An impressive amount of documentation goes with the car. I would like this one a lot more if it were not for the interior. But it does look like a great driver.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1937-packard-115-3-window-coupe/

That is a very nicely styled car! Just something about it that really appeals to me. Like TxGoat, I could live with the vinyl interior as long as the price reflected that.

The thing that would worry me about this car: "The car has not been driven under current ownership according to the seller" So its a crap shoot as to whether this car does anything but sit and idle I guess. Suspension, brakes, trans, engine, rear axle.....the current owner has no idea whether all that works correctly because he has never driven it except down the block and back??? Would be a big red flag for me if I was interested in bidding. But, if a person just wanted to look at it in their garage, or drive it onto and off of a trailer to take it to shows, I guess it wouldn't matter to them. Me, I'd want to be able to get into it and drive it 100, 150 miles.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 16:14
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
We prefer the 5-window coupes at Fred's place.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 17:59
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

r1lark wrote:
Me, I'd want to be able to get into it and drive it 100, 150 miles.

As would we all, I think.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 21:42
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Regarding the vinyl interior, I may be more of a stickler for authenticity than most people because I used to judge cars at local shows and an otherwise well restored car with an incorrect interior would be severely docked in points. In most cases, this would be enough to knock a car out of trophy contention. Also, remember that Packard was a car of great quality and they only used the best materials, even in the less costly junior models. Fine wool broadcloths were the order of they day when competing cars in the junior price class were using the cheaper mohair. In fact, this was seen as a major selling point for Packard. Vinyl is a cheap modern material which does not compare at all to what was originally used in Packards of the prewar era. To replace a wool broadcloth interior with vinyl is like changing from a finely tailored Brooks Brothers suit to a polyester jogging outfit purchased at a Walmart. At least in my opinion.

Posted on: 2023/11/28 23:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved