Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 Super Eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick
See User information
Hi Guys, newbie here. Can anyone tell me how to lubricate the clutch release bearing? There is a fitting on the bell housing that seems to go to the bearing, is that for oil, and how to get the oil into the fitting? Is there a pressure oiling method?

Thanks for your consideration.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard.jpg (420.11 KB)
226544_6554efb220e93.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/11/15 11:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Super Eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick
See User information
44 views, no reply.

Posted on: 2023/11/16 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
We have a '38 Super and I had no idea that the clutch release bearing could be lubricated. I'd be interested in the answer too.

I would wager that most people just don't have the answer, not that they don't care.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/16 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have no idea but on later models even as early as the several 1940s I had, it was a sealed bearing so no lubrication necessary or even possible.

Posted on: 2023/11/16 11:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
We don't have a '37 Super Eight Manual here on the website. But the Six and Twelve manual says they are sealed bearings. But there is this note in the Six manual.

If you have a manual for your car take a look in the General Lubrication Section.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 833.jpg (110.13 KB)
1_65564fa033f7b.jpg 936X218 px

Posted on: 2023/11/16 12:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, I would check the lubrication charts for grease fittings to see what is recommended in each location.

Posted on: 2023/11/16 12:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick
See User information
Thanks guys, I did check my manual but the only reference is on the lube chart and is quite vague, says "heavy oil" I think. Anyway, last night I rigged up a rubber hose to fit tightly over the fitting on the bell housing and pumped 10W40 into it from a pump oil can. It took it very slowly and I got about 8 pumps in it. When I started it it was completely quiet! I haven't drove it yet but I'm encouraged that the oil got to where it was supposed to and maybe is working. I'll post another comment when I drive it a few miles.
Kevinpackard, my car has a fitting on the outside of the bell housing on the passenger side. There is an access plate on the bottom right below the release bearing and I can see there is a flex line going from this fitting to the bearing. Maybe yours has the same set up?

Posted on: 2023/11/16 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Rick, I'll crawl under and check to see if I have the same fitting. Was your trans making noise when the car was idling?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/11/16 18:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick
See User information
hi Kevin, there was no noise when just idling. The release bearing was making noise intermittently. Not too loud, a kind of a hiss sound as soon as the clutch was depressed (even just a little pressure) and silent when released. Sometimes it would be quiet for a trip and then return next trip.

Is yours making any complaints?

Posted on: 2023/11/17 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Your throwout bearing evidently needed lube.

It should not have made any noise with the engine idling UNLESS you depressed the clutch pedal, even very lightly, just as you observed.

If it made noise (often a hissing noise or squeak) with NO pressure on the pedal it would indicate that your clutch linkage needed adjusted. If the linkage lacks enough free play, the throwout bearing will spin all the time, and the clutch may slip under load. Oiling the bearing may stop the noise, but it wouldn't correct the clutch linkage adjustment.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 12:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved