Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dash Meshes and Back Pads
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
How does the actual dash mesh pattern differ between Packard and Clipper and which were silver and which were gold? I understand that the back pads are still available (Max Merritt has them) in both silver and gold but which years and models had which?

Posted on: 2023/11/24 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Dash Meshes and Back Pads
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
There were 5 styles. In 55 all cars used the same pattern just differing in color. For 1956 the Clipper and Packard each used a slightly different pattern, with different color. The Executive then used the Packard pattern in the Clipper color. Clippers silver and Packard gold.

Reference:
56 Caribbean
56 Executive
56 Super 4dr
55 Patrician
55 Deluxe
Another 56 Super 4dr

Attach file:

jpeg  1956-packard-caribbean-custom-convertible.jpeg (294.30 KB)
225076_6561ca2e3afa7.jpeg 1600X1200 px

jpg  34935389-1956-packard-executive-thumb.jpg (39.87 KB)
225076_6561ca3809c36.jpg 640X480 px

jpeg  1956-packard-clipper.jpeg (327.77 KB)
225076_6561ca45681ad.jpeg 1600X1200 px

jpeg  1955-packard-patrician.jpeg (273.87 KB)
225076_6561ca597f067.jpeg 1599X1066 px

jpg  image_50733825.JPG (304.82 KB)
225076_6561ca6a36f21.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpeg  1956-packard-clipper (1).jpeg (290.28 KB)
225076_6561cbf9b5c15.jpeg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/11/25 5:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you and interesting. Quite a nice selection to view although I couldn’t quite see the pattern in all the photos but the color was clear although somewhat confusing as the only one that looks gold is the 1955 Patrician. Was the silver or gold color from the mesh itself or from the padding behind it which I am told is available either in silver or gold?

Posted on: 2023/11/25 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This one on eBay looks very gold compared to the photos above but the car also has a gold color interior. Might these have been different based on trim color?

Posted on: 2023/11/25 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
This one on eBay looks very gold compared to the photos above but the car also has a gold color interior. Might these have been different based on trim color?

Honestly I think that one is the same as the one I posted, the lighting is just different.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That is quite possible and on such a screen there is the Moiré pattern to have to deal with in trying to photograph it.

From what I can see, some have little squares, some have little rectangles and some little round holes. Then back to the color, it’s still not clear if the gold look is coming from the material behind or from an actual anodizing on the mesh itself. If the latter, it must be quite subtle!

Posted on: 2023/11/25 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
When I get home I’ll take a closer picture of the pattern on my 55 400. I’m nearly certain it’s the same on the Clippers of that year.

Perhaps you can get a nice shot of your 56 clipper.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The panels are aluminum and annodized. There was no pattern in 55, just little rectangular holes. In the annodizing process the aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum is dyed. Seniors were dyed gold, juniors were left natural color.

In 56 there was an engine-turned pattern on the senior cars and they were dyed gold, including the Executives. Juniors got a textured pattern but they were again left natural color. That was not changed according interior trim .

The dye used on the senior cars was quite durable but not 100% resistant to light. Cars that have had sheltered lives have a very noticeable gold cast--pretty stunning especially in 56. Cars that have seen a lot of strong sunlight will fade completely to silver. My own 56 400 seems to have had an outdoorsy life and is just faintly gold. Remove an escutcheon, and there it is where the light did not hit.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 13:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross beat me to it but to agree, the 56 senior dash is definitely gold anodized with finer and smaller sort of rectangular perforations which look like they might have been made by overlapping a couple of small round dots. The 55 has much larger and coarser rectangles. 56 also has a very subtle pattern like an engine turned effect although I don't know what process they did to get the look. The color does not come from anything under the mesh such as a pad. If you go to the link I posted yesterday and look at the low mileage 56 video there are several excellent close up views of the senior dash where you can see the engine turning effect.

While the photos are black and white, if you look at the 55 and 56 Packard and Clipper owners manuals and examine the dash patterns behind the enlarged photos of individual gauges you can get a good feel for how the perforations differ.

I believe the 55s were all silver and know 56 senior was gold but not sure on the 56 Clipper. An issue in determining original color is how much fade the mesh has endured. I was really surprised when I did mine. After removing the small crest emblem toward the passenger side in preparation for refinishing the mesh, the amount of fading the dash had gone thru was extremely obvious. I have mentioned it before but I used a light amber shade of transparent glass stain on mine which is probably the same as a lacquer product and it refinished beautifully with the subtle pattern maintained.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you both! Starting to understand now. Any idea what the dye is?

As for photos of my 1956 Clipper, it’s currently hundreds of miles away but when I’m back home I’ll look through photos I’ve taken to see if I might have one, although I doubt it as I never thought to specifically photograph the mesh.

Posted on: 2023/11/25 13:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved